Chapter 28 - Secrets

"Look, I've been stuck to my phone because I've had a stalker," I confessed, watching as she gasped in shock.

"Oh my god," she whispered, her eyes widening with concern.

"Yeah, he hacked everything. But it was weird. He then gave me a bunch of money. That's not the point. The point is, he was so good that when I took my phone to the tech place, they laughed in my face," I explained, the memory still fresh in my mind.

"Really?" she asked, her voice tinged with disbelief.

"Yeah, it took such a toll on me. I even started writing about it. But that's not the worst part," I continued, my voice trembling with emotion.

"What?" she prompted, leaning forward in anticipation.

"Remember when that girl came up dead at the carnival? It was them. He said he would do it, and I... I just didn't believe it," I admitted, the words rushing out of my mouth faster than I could process them.

She sat on the edge of her seat, listening intently as I poured out my fears and suspicions.

"So, that party... I knew they would be there. Some drunk guy came up to me, but I blew him off. Next thing I know, I hear Christian beating him upstairs, and no one even noticed," I revealed, watching her gasp in horror at the revelation.

"I mean, we all knew something weird was up with you and your phone, but we all just thought it was your project," she mused, realization dawning on her.

"He was my project. Long story. But I think Damon and Chris are two sides of the same coin," I concluded, my voice barely above a whisper as the weight of my words settled heavily between us.

"Yeah, I mean, he got so mad at that boy, and then for him to just do that to him was so sad," she commented, her voice tinged with empathy.

"I know what you mean," I replied, understanding the gravity of the situation.

We returned after our discussion, and as soon as I reached for my phone, a call suddenly came through.

"Where were you?" Christian demanded, his tone sharp and accusatory.

"Just talking to Mel," I mumbled, trying to keep my voice steady despite the unease settling in the pit of my stomach.

"Why did you leave your phone?" he pressed, his voice dripping with suspicion.

"I forgot it," I lied, feeling a knot form in my throat.

He let out a monotonous laugh that sent chills down my spine. "I know you didn't," he stated flatly, his words hanging heavily in the air.

I looked up at Mel in fear, silently pleading for help. With a sense of urgency, I hung up the call.

"I... I gotta go," I stammered, my voice trembling as I made a swift exit.

As I entered my room, I was taken aback to find him lying on my bed, his gaze fixed on me with an air of indifference.

"You forgot it?" he questioned once more, his tone betraying a hint of annoyance.

"Yes, it isn't like I broke one of your rules, now have I?" I retorted, crossing my arms defensively.

"No, darling, you didn't. What did you and Mel talk about?" he inquired, his curiosity piqued.

"Damon, who else?" I replied, unable to mask the unease in my voice.

"What did she say?" he pressed, sitting up to give me his full attention.

"That he's been acting weird. More about what he says in arguments than what the argument is about," I explained, feeling a knot form in my stomach as I recalled our conversation.

"Was there something specific you both were talking about?" he asked, his expression unreadable.

"You're just gonna go and tell Damon?" I questioned, my voice tinged with apprehension.

"I won't, mainly because it's something bothering you," he assured me, his words bringing a sense of relief.

"Well..." I hesitated, unsure of how much to reveal.

"She said... He said I'm lucky I wasn't like Christian, and instead of faking my personality, I get to see how he really is. And we both thought it was weird," I admitted, my voice trailing off as I awaited his response.

"Yeah, but Damon kinda was right," he acknowledged, his tone thoughtful.

"What do you mean?" I asked, taken aback by his unexpected admission.

"About the weird hacking thing. He told me to just come right out and show my real self," he explained, his gaze piercing mine.

"And is this your real self?" I pressed, eager for answers.

"Kinda," he admitted, a hint of uncertainty in his voice.