Chapter 30 - Real

As I emerged from my slumber and prepared myself for the day ahead, I stepped back into the building, only to be greeted by the relentless onslaught of the weather outside.

"Holy crap, this weather is relentless," Lora exclaimed.

"Does anyone else feel like their throat is as dry as a desert?" I inquired. Suddenly, Christian materialized behind us, offering cups filled with a steaming liquid.

"Coffee?" I ventured.

"Nope, hot chocolate. You do realize it's not exactly healthy to indulge in coffee 24/7, right?" Christian retorted.

"Aw, it's so sickeningly sweet, it almost makes me want to gag," Lora remarked.

"Exactly! They're just flaunting their relationship in our lonely ass faces," Jess quipped, injecting a note of humor into the tension.

"You two have each other," I remarked. "You better not be in a relationship, or I swear I'll lose it," Jess retorted sharply.

"Oh crap, it's 8 already. We need to head in. Bye Chris, see you after class," I hastily bid farewell. With that, we all made our way into the classroom.

"Have you completed your part of the project yet?" Jake inquired as we settled in.

"Yup," I confirmed, placing my cup on the table. "I'll send it over to you shortly," I added. He nodded silently, his expression unreadable.

I watched as he wrapped up his portion of the project, his request for assistance hanging in the air like a heavy cloud.

"Can you lend me a hand since you've already finished your part?" he implored, but before I could respond, my phone chimed loudly, disrupting the tense atmosphere. With an awkward laugh, I excused myself momentarily, retrieving my phone from my pocket.

"Send him my way. Trust me, you won't have to worry about that project anymore," the message read.

I sighed, replying,

"There's nothing to worry about. I'll just inform him to speak with the teacher."

His response came quickly, "Fine, I'm trying to be considerate here, mainly because it'll look weird"

"What's going to look weird?" I pressed, confused.

"Three murders back to back," he replied cryptically.

Three murders?

Where on earth did the second one come from?

The sudden revelation sent a shiver down my spine, leaving me reeling with apprehension.

I rolled my eyes and pocketed my phone, trying to dismiss the unsettling messages for the moment.

"I guess you should speak to the teacher; he should be able to provide a lot of assistance," I suggested, attempting to steer the conversation away from my personal matters.

"Can't you and your tutor boyfriend help me?" he persisted, and just as my phone buzzed again, I made a conscious decision to ignore it.

"No, he only helps with tests, not projects," I replied tersely, feeling a pang of frustration at the persistent interruptions.

After class, I couldn't find Chris, which left me feeling a bit uneasy. Pulling out my phone, I noticed a message from both Mel and Chris. I opened Mel's message first:

"Let's talk tomorrow."

Short and cryptic, but acceptable.

Then I opened Chris's message:

"We need to talk now."

The urgency in his words sent a chill down my spine, leaving me apprehensive about what awaited our conversation.

__________

(A/N)

Do you guys like longer or shorter chapters?

Do you guys like if I spam upload or just stick to a schedule?