Chapter 9: So Many Secrets

The night after all the excitement Slick caused, Nova thought she would get the best sleep of her life. She was proved wrong. The poor girl was up all night, hearing an obnoxious voice in her head rambling about something she didn't understand. He kept talking about something blue, and how it was eradicated. He had a weird accent she'd never heard of before, then again most things are foreign to her.

She got up several times in the middle of the night and roamed the halls freely without the pressure of Anakin down the next corridor being her loose shadow or the clones who saluted her unnecessarily. She found it odd considering she's only known them for less than a week.

"Can't sleep?" A soothing voice said behind her. She jumped and grabbed her light saber. With the deep red glow inches away from the man's face, she recognized him to be General Kenobi.

"Oh, Master Kenobi. Did I wake you?" He shook his head before resuming his walk forward to be by her side.

"I felt a disturbance in the force." Nova's interest was piqued by mention of the force again.

"What is the force? To a Jedi, I mean." He scrunched his eyebrows together. Obi-Wan knew what Master Yoda taught him the force was, but he wasn't entirely sure if he still agreed with that definition. Obi-Wan decided to give his own definition to her and see how she interprets it.

"The force is where a Jedi harnesses their power from. It resides in every living being, at varying levels and connects us all." Obi-Wan realized he was smiling as he watched her smile.

"I like that much better than what Dooku thinks it is. He says it's a power to be controlled by us, that we should manipulate it with our emotions and use it to our own advantage." Nova winced. For only a fraction of a second, Nova swore she could feel the blood-curdling feeling of his lightning tinging her skin. It was gone as soon as the feeling came.

"What else did Dooku teach you?" Nova chuckled at that.

"Not much else, surprisingly. I've learned more from just listening to you for the best couple days than I ever did from him." Obi-Wan let himself laugh. He hushed Nova when she started to laugh too.

"Hey! If you can laugh so can I." His shushing only caused her to laugh harder. The door behind Joca popped open and Obi-WAN's admiral popped through the frame. He groaned, rolled his eyes at the pair who only waved at him and shut the door, trying to ignore the laughter as it only increased.

"Mr. Kenobi, can I ask you something?" He nodded, trying not to cringe at the weird name she kept referring to him as.

"Can I become a Jedi? It seems fun, plus helping people feels nice. I'd like to do it more often." Obi-Wan admired her simple point of view on the matter of the Jedi. He remembered a time his own opinions used to be easily comprehensive too.

"Normally, you would be deemed too old to begin training to be a Jedi..." Obi-Wan didn't like seeing the frown take over her normally upbeat face. He didn't like it even more realizing how he was responsible for it this time.

"Although, I can sense your immense power in the force. You will need someone to show you how to use it for good. Hopefully, my fellow Jedi will not fail to see that." Nova perked up. She stared at her lap. Obi-Wan turned the other way toward the mess hall. He poured her a cup of ice cold water and got her a small ration bar before sending her off to bed.

That night he found himself unable to sleep either; staying up to brainstorm a way to convince the Jedi council to let him take on yet another Padawan considered too old and too much of a risk. Hopefully this one would be less troublesome than the last. Or the bare minimum be better at flying than Anakin.