Sleeping Situation (Gale/Gajevy)

It was a nice day when Gajeel and Levy had set out to finish their job. Gajeel was slightly sad to leave his cat behind (Panther Lily had a personal task he needed to do) but Levy was pumped to finally be able to do some of the heavy lifting. The town's market was bustling with people and the sun was shining a warmth that comfortably accompanied the breeze running through the area. The job wasn't supposed to be very difficult and Levy had quickly figured out the base of operations of the dark guild mages they needed to catch.

However, the mission didn't start off too strong since gray clouds started rumbling in, bringing rain with them. When looking back, Levy would pinpoint that moment as the first sign of their impending bad luck.

Gajeel insisted it'd be fine and that they'd probably capture the three dark mages quickly, but then the supposed three turned out to be ten making the small team severely outnumbered. They made it out in the end, but not without some injuries.

"Shrimp come 'ere," Gajeel ordered as he stood under the dense branches of a tall tree. Water was still dripping down but it was better than being out in the open.

Levy obeyed and walked over to Gajeel, an injury in her calf making itself evident through her slight limp.

"You should've just ran like I told ya to," Gajeel gruffed out in an annoyed tone.

Levy glared at him but he wouldn't meet her eyes as he bandaged up her wound. They have the same argument every time something like this occurs, and while Levy knows it's just Gajeel's tough love showing, she can't help but feel frustrated each time he expects her to just leave him in a rough situation.

"You're hurt too," she breathed out as she brushed a delicate hand over his cheekbone.

Gajeel moved his head to the side and away from her gentle touch, "I'm fine, worry about yourself."

Levy's glare returned and she slumped against the tree trunk as Gajeel stood up, done with taking care of her injury.

She looked out towards the setting sun before speaking up, "We're too far from the nearest town to walk back so we're gonna have to camp out tonight."

Levy didn't particularly enjoy camping and she especially didn't enjoy it when she didn't have all the necessary supplies. Being unprepared was not something the script mage was accustomed to.

"Let's head toward that cliffside," Gajeel pointed towards the Western Mountains, "there has to be a cave there."

Levy agreed and she stood up slowly, using the tree trunk as support. However, it only took moments for Gajeel to lift her up into his arms.

"You should conserve energy, I can walk," she attempted to argue.

"I ain't letting ya walk on that leg."

Levy let out an impatient huff but she was thankful she wasn't hanging over his shoulder instead.

After about 30 minutes of walking, the pair finally found a cave they could stay the night in. They were completely drenched as they attempted to set up an area to sleep with the little supplies they had on them.

"Damn," Gajeel cursed as he rifled through his backpack, "I didn't bring my fucking sleeping bag."

Levy shook her head with a small smile on her face as she rolled out her own sleeping bag, "It's ok I'll unzip mine and we can share the extra blanket I have."

"No, you'll end up cold and then it'll be harder for ya to get back to town."

Levy gave a sarcastic smile, "Well good thing I'm a 'shrimp' then. I'm small enough for us to share. End of discussion Gajeel."

Gajeel let out a grunt but didn't argue further. The pair ate the couple of snacks they had left in silence. When Levy finished hers, she scooched closer to Gajeel so she could take a look at his injuries, dressing every single one in bandages.

"Ya can worry 'bout that when we get back to town," Gajeel spoke through a mouthful of his snack bar.

Levy didn't reply as she continued taking care of his wounds and once again the pair sat in comfortable silence. 

When it was time for them to sleep, their clothes were still very damp and while they had a small light source, they had no fire nor the materials needed to make one.

"We're going to have to strip," Levy announced as she looked over her sleeping bag and blanket to make sure they were still dry.

Gajeel choked and stared at her wide-eyed.

"Our clothes are still wet and without a fire, we're going to get cold. The last thing we need is for one of us to get sick in the night," Levy explained. "We have to keep our blanket and sleeping bag as dry as possible so we can stay warm."

Gajeel continued staring at her with his mouth gaped open as a red tint started creeping up his cheeks.

Levy stripped down into her undergarments and nestled under the blanket, finally feeling somewhat dry. Gajeel followed her lead and managed to keep a straight face, though his ears still appeared slightly red.

When he got under the blanket beside Levy, he was so far away from her small body that he was almost lying on the rock floor.

"Come closer," Levy urged as she faced his broad back.

Gajeel turned over onto his other side so he could face her but made no move to come closer.

"We'll be warmer if we share body heat," Levy explained as she stared him down.

Before she could even check if his face would get any redder, she was shoved into his bare chest.

"I better not wake up to ya sniffling in the morning," Gajeel complained, but he wrapped both arms around her.

Levy let out a content sigh as she felt warmth finally returning to her hands. She nestled her feet between Gajeel's legs and smiled when it caused Gajeel to laugh his signature 'gihee.'

"That better pipsqueak?"

She nodded into his chest. She was slightly astounded by how calm she was being about the situation, but after so many jobs with Gajeel, she trusted him more than anyone else. At that moment, there was nowhere else she'd rather be and she quickly fell asleep. After hearing her slow breaths, Gajeel fell asleep soon after.

When morning came, Levy woke up to the bright light of the sun shining into the cave. She was completely on top of Gajeel, stomach to stomach, and couldn't help but worry about how he managed to sleep with her on top of him like that. Despite how this was not an ideal sleeping situation, she couldn't remember the last time she had such a good night of rest.

As she was contemplating the best way to get up without waking Gajeel, he rolled them over so that they were lying on their sides, his iron grip unrelenting around her as his body curled around hers. Realizing there was no other choice, Levy poked at Gajeel's cheek in an attempt to wake the sleeping dragon.

He didn't even budge and she began to feel exasperated after a couple of seconds so she transitioned to pushing at his shoulder,

"Gajeel wake up, we have to start heading towards town to collect our reward so we can make it back to Magnolia before night."

Gajeel groaned and rolled over once more, this time putting Levy under him as he buried his head into her stomach, his tight grip still around her waist.

"5 more minutes," he mumbled out, his voice a low rumble that caused Levy to blush.

She sighed knowing there was no way she'd be able to pry him off her with their size difference, so she started absentmindedly petting his hair as she looked out of the cave and into the beautiful view before her. Because of the rain the day before, she hadn't been able to appreciate the vast nature surrounding them until now.

When Gajeel finally got up, the pair returned to the town as if everything was just as usual. Even though their mission didn't go according to plan, they couldn't say they didn't leave feeling content.