Ch. 6 : Lady-in-waiting.

Mao Mao's POV.

"Are you Mao Mao? And Hao Mao? " a lady-in-waiting asked, " oh, yes. " I answered as Hao Mao nodded.

"I am Hongniang, head lady-in-waiting for Lady Gyokuyou. " Hongniang-san introduced herself.

"For starters, I'll show you two around the Jade Pavilion. Follow me. " Hongniang-san said, before she turn around then walk to the stairs.

"Yes." I quickly answer as me and Hao Mao followed behind.

_____

"Welcome to the Jade Pavilion. I've been waiting for you two, Mao Mao, Hao Mao. " Lady Gyokuyou said with her baby on her arms.

At the end of her sentence, she gave us a closed-eyed smile.

Me and Hao Mao bowed, "looks like Xiaoling is happy to see you, too. " Lady Gyokuyou said.

"We're glad to have you both around. " Lady Gyokuyou said.

We both bowed, "thank you. " we both said in unison.

____

"This is the parlor, where we bring guests. " Hongniang-san said, showing us around.

"So big... " I mumbles, making Hao Mao nodded.

____

"This is the kitchen. You should be able to do some simple cooking here. " Hongniang-san said.

"Wow" me and Hao Mao said in unison.

____

"This is the living room. ", " here are the others ladies-in-waiting. Let me introduce them to you" Hongniang-san said.

"Everyone, gather up. " Hongniang-san said.

____

"Nice to meet you both, I'm Yinghua. Ask me anything! " the girl in the middle introduce, she has purple-ish hair, with a cheerful voice.

"I am Guiyuan. Nice to meet you both. " the girl on the left introduce, she has a green-ish hair, with a soft and gentle voice.

"I am Ailan. Very pleased to meet you two. " the girl on the right introduce, she has a blue-ish hair, with another soft voice.

"I'm Mao Mao. Looking forward to working with you. " I introduce myself, I look at Hao Mao.

She look calm, but I know well she is shy on the inside.

"I am Hao Mao. It's a pleasure meeting you all. " Hao Mao introduce, actually, with a rather soft and gentle voice.

Me and Hao Mao bowed after introducing ourself.

"At the Jade Pavilion, we don't hire any serving girls. " Hongniang-san said.

"So, we do all the work around here. " Hongniang-san said.

"It's the least we can do to make sure Lady Gyokuyou lives comfortably. " Yinghua-san said, as she raise her right hand to her chest.

"Then I'll also-", " you go ahead and rest in your room. " I was cut off by Yinghua-san when I was about to walk forward.

"Huh? " I asked confused, "take it easy. " Guiyuan-san said, 'huh? What is happening? ' I thought.

"You have a special task coming up. " Ailan-san said, 'a special task-? ' I thought.

"Special task? " I asked the three of them, "Mao Mao, Hao Mao, I'll show you to your room. " Hongniang-san said, I look at Hao Mao for answer.

Three of the ladies-in-waiting eyes are sparkling as if they were pleading to me.

'What is happening-? ' I thought, hopefully Hao Mao, will somehow answer me.

Hao Mao just giggle then point to my left hand, I blinks for a moment before it clicks me.

'Ah... ' I thought, and then I remembered what Hongniang-san said, I quickly look at her then nodded.

"Um, sure" I said, then we left them with me and Hao Mao walking behind Hongniang-san.

Third Person's POV.

"Did you guys see both of their hands? " Yinghua asked, still looking at the door.

"They are hiding it with those bandages, but there are scars under them, right? " Yinghua asked.

"They must have been abused by their parents back home, and sold off to the rear palace... " Guiyuan said in rather worried tone.

"On top of that, there's that terrible job... " Ailan said, "these poor, unfortunate girls! " three of them dramatically tear up at the thought of Hao Mao and Mao Mao's having an unlucky life.

(Alright... I guess that's it for today, sorry for not posting for weeks! I lose motivation💀.)

(And I'm sorry that this chapter is short, I'll make sure to make longer chapter!)