Chapter 14

NOTE: I'm rewriting Chapter 14 because it felt a bit messy and all over the place and it didn't really contribute much to the plot line 

Haerin sat on the hill that she had sat on, the night she realised her feelings. All there was left to do was to confess how she felt, but it was the hardest part. Transitioning from friendship to something more was always portrayed as a drastic and risky decision in books or movies as if the person were to reject the feelings confessed to them, it could possibly jeopardise their friendship as well.

The wind blew gently and the sun reflected shadows of the slightly swaying trees. The occasional plane interrupted the tranquil silence and Haerin couldn't help but wonder where it was going. She hugged her knees as she thought hard on her next move.

At this rate it wasn't something she could ignore. Her feelings grew each day and she found herself blushing at things she didn't before. Holding hands with Danielle, seeing Danielle smile at her, when Danielle hugged her, all of it was seen as just a friendly gesture and Haerin knew it was a friendly gesture, but something about it just made her short circuit. So it wasn't healthy to hold in her feelings. Haerin let out a long sigh, before getting up and making her way home.

That night at dinner, Haerin's mind was full of Danielle, and how she was going to confess, but her mind was completely blank. She had no idea. She glanced up hesitantly at her sister only to find the latter already looking at her with a look of concern.

"Are you ok Hae?" Hanni asked softly. "You don't look very happy,". Haerin bit her lip, contemplating whether or not to bring up the topic that was constantly spinning around and destroying her head like a tornado. 

"I...have something on my mind," Haerin sighed out. 

"You want to talk about it?" Hanni put down her utensils and gave the other girl her full attention. She had a slight idea of what it might be, considering she also noticed Haerin's behavioural change around Danielle, but she didn't want to jump to conclusions, so she emptied her mind and gave her younger sister her full attention.

Haerin on the other hand was scared at what Hanni's reaction might be. She perhaps thought that maybe she would be laughed at or teased. To Haerin this was a big deal. But then again, the older girl was never the type of judge people and would always approach every situation with an open mind. 

"I like Danielle," she whispered, looking away. She could feel her cheeks heating up and it was probably quite obvious to the one across the table. "I don't know what to do, isn't it like girls like boys and boys like girls? A...And what if Dani doesn't like me back?? Then she won't want to be friends with me anymore because I made it awkward because of my stupid feelings!" Haerin didn't know what got into her but she began sobbing and crying, devastated at the mere thought of no longer having the sunshine's presence in her life. It was like ripping off a bandaid to her. The residual stinging that'll haunt her for a long time.

"Hey, hey it's ok," Hanni got up and went over to hug Haerin, who only started sobbing even more. This went on for a few minutes before Haerin finally started to calm down enough to listen to whatever advice her sister might have to offer.

Hanni sat them down on the sofa before beginning to speak.

"You can't control your feelings Haerin, and that's ok. It doesn't matter if you like boys or girls, it's completely fine, it doesn't make you weird, it makes you you and you should embrace that,". Haerin already felt comfort in those words but that wasn't what was bothering her the most.

"And onto Danielle, I don't think you should think too much into it,".

"How am I just meant to not think about it??" Haerin exclaimed in frustration.

"Danielle is your friend Haerin, I'm sure that she will be open minded towards your feelings and you won't lose her, it may take time to get back what you once had, but I'm sure she won't leave you, and I think you don't have to worry about her rejecting you," Hanni explained gently.

"Wh...What do you mean? D...Do you think Dani...likes me too?" Haerin asked, her eyes widening.

"Have you seen the way she treats you? She doesn't even treat Minji like that, she's always making sure you're comfortable and ok and is always there to help you, while those may appear as friendly gestures, the way she does it looks like what she feels is more," Hanni chuckled.

Hope began to blossom in Haerin's heart and all of a sudden she knew what she wanted to do.

Minji let out sigh upon seeing her friend just staring at her plate without eating. She hoped that her friend wasn't having any dark thoughts again, because she appeared to be doing much better after the success of the court case surrounding the murder of Haerin's parents. 

"Wassup Dani?" Minji asked, leaning forward curiously.

"What?" Danielle asked, raising an eyebrow in confusion.

"You're not eating and you look kinda depressed," Minji shrugged.

Danielle didn't realise it was that obvious. She had already talked to Minji regarding her feelings before but she still didn't feel very reassured about the entire thing. She knows she likes Haerin but she doesn't know if Haerin likes her. And that was the problem, but she knows she'll regret if she doesn't confess.

Minji watched as her friend got up and excused herself before going to their shared bedroom. Minji was left there, staring at Danielle's untouched plate of food. All of a sudden it clicked. The cause was indeed Kang Haerin. She sighed while shaking her head, a small smile appearing on her face. 

Just confess Dani, I'm 100% sure the kitty likes you

Danielle rummaged for her phone in her backpack before scrolling through her contacts. She found the person she wanted to call and she pressed the call button. The sound of the ringtone filled the empty room and it made Danielle more and more nervous with each ring. Did she really need to do this?

"Hello?" a voice finally echoed through the speaker.

"Hanni, I need your help,"