Chapter 21

The white ceiling scrutinising her from above blinked in and out of focus. The smell of antibiotics and the distant chatter of familiar voices invaded her senses. Her head and chest ached, causing the simple task of opening her eyes to be a great effort.

Hanni weakly looked around as best as she could and caught sight of the multiple wires connecting to her, travelling back to their respective machines. It looked like a technician's playground with how busy the little city of wires looked. 

"Unnie!!!" Haerin's voice suddenly woke her up completely. Before she could fully process anything, as she tried to get up she was pulled into a hug by her sister who immediately started sobbing into her shoulder. 

Hanni quickly hugged the younger girl back, looking around confusedly. But then all the memories started flowing back through her train of thought, causing her heart rate to spike due to shock and fear.

"Unnie, it's ok, it'll be ok," Haerin tried calming her down.

"Oh, Ms Pham, you're awake," Dr Hong suddenly came in as he walked towards them and set down his clipboard. He took the oxygen mask that Hanni was shocked that she didn't even notice until now and started bombarding her with lots of questions. Well, it felt like bombarding at least.

Question after question the cause came more clear to Joshua, and he knew the perfect solution thankfully. But he wasn't sure whether Haerin would take it well considering the two sisters seemed to be like peas in a pod. 

Before he could proceed to say anything the door burst open and in came a flustered Minji. Her hair was all messy and she was basically still in her pyjamas, she just carelessly chucked a sweater on. At this moment, she truly looked like a wild bear. She and Hanni locked eyes and the next thing you know, Hanni was squealing in surprise from the aggressive bear hug she was getting.

"Min, seriously, tone down your aggressiveness," Danielle followed in calmly as she gave Hanni a warm smile before sitting next to Haerin and giving her a forehead kiss. Minji completely ignored her best friend and kept her eyes on a flustered Hanni.

"Heeeyyyyy guys," Hyein suddenly came in.

"What are you doing here?" Minji asked, surprised because she hadn't really heard from Hyein in a long time. The girl had gotten sick and had to stay home from Uni for quite a while so in a way, Minji sort of forget she existed with everything going on. There seriously was basically no time to breathe.

"I heard that Hanni Unnie is in hospital from Kitty Kang," Hyein simply said,lifting her head to see if Hanni was ok.

"Don't call me Kitty Kang," Haerin pouted, earning a smirk. Haerin didn't hesitate to roll her eyes, but luckily before Hyein could start teasing her like always, Dr Hong cleared his throat.

He sat still, scanning over the room as all 5 girls turned to him with curious looks, their anticipation for whatever he had to say next was painted on their faces and sculpted in their posture. Joshua sighed, before he began to break the news that perhaps would cause chaos within the group. They all seemed really close and had a tight bond, so this was going to be a little difficult. However, as a doctor, emotions had to be put aside.

"I have decided on the best treatment plan for Ms Pham," he said slowly. Haerin was fully immersed in his words like he had hypnotised her, she held Danielle's hand and she felt her heart start speeding, a million different possibilities whizzed through her head.

"So, what I'm thinking is..."

Danielle sat outside on the balcony of her and Minji's apartment. She heard the faint murmurs of Taesan and Minji probably talking about what the boy had walked into when he decided to visit his cousin. She let the tears fall freely as the breeze hit her face, a bitter reminder of what had happened earlier today. 

Dr Hong had decided that the best way was to get therapy. Danielle hadn't thought much of it, but when Haerin had exited the room looking like she had seen a ghost she knew something wasn't right.

...................

Danielle, Minji and Hyein all stood outside, waiting for Haerin to break the news to them. It took a lot longer than they expected and that made them feel somewhat uneasy, but nevertheless they opted to stay calm and keep an open mind.

When the door finally creaked open and Haerin slipped out, Danielle was immediately overcome with worry. She rushed towards a pale faced and tear stained Haerin. It broke her heart to see her loved one like this.

"H...Haerinie, what happened?" she asked as softly as she can.

The cat eyed girl looked up slowly and looked her girlfriend right in the eyes. Her breath hitched upon seeing the amount of love and anxiety that Danielle was expressing for her in her eyes. Tears welled up in her eyes like sink that had its plugged put in the drain.

"W...We have to go to Canada," Haerin whispered. Danielle felt her heart drop to her stomach and she suddenly felt nauseous.

"What do you mean?" she asked, trying to keep her voice steady.

"D..Dr Hong said that...the best treatment was in Canada...he...he is only in Korea because his grandfather asked him for help here, but his actual work is his hospital back in C...Canada," Haerin began to explain her voice like an earthquake waiting to bring down all chaos. "H..His hospital a...also offers therapy services which Hanni Unnie n..needs a...and this way if we go to Canada with him next week...it..it would help a lot than if we didn't,".

...............

Haerin slumped on the couch, awaiting Danielle's reply to her news. Minji and Hyein were sad about it, considering Minji would also be having to let her girlfriend go and Haerin was a very good friend of Hyein's. But Danielle had this unreadable expression on her face the entire time with made Haerin anxious.

What if Danielle hated her for leaving her? What if she would ask to break up? What if Haerin would lose Danielle? This time it was the younger girl's turn to panic about what Danielle would do with this news. 

"H...Haerinie," Hanni broke the silence that blanketed the now dark hospital room, the only light being those of the buildings outside. Haerin looked up and showed her sister she was listening. In reality she was half there and half not there.

"I...I'm sorry...because of me you have to leave Dani," Hanni apologised weakly, she was clearly trying not to cry. Hanni was also devastated, not only because she had to leave Minji, but she also causing mental agony upon her sister, Danielle and Hyein.

"I'm sorry I'm so useless, maybe Mr Marsh is right...I...I deser-"

"Stop right there!!" Haerin exclaimed, getting up abruptly. She pulled Hanni into a hug and spent a whole 20 minutes lecturing the older girl about how that was a complete lie and that she was amazing and all of that. It honestly was like a whole college seminar at this point.

By the end of it Haerin was out of breath from listing all the things she could think of. She smiled slightly, feeling proud of herself for making her sister smile again. 

BZZT! BZZT!

The cat eyed girl felt her heart leap when she read the contact name. It was Danielle.