Chapter 16

The scene in front of Danielle felt like a dream. Haerin extending a bouquet of flowers to her while asking her to be her girlfriend. If was a dream, she didn't want to wake up. It felt too good to be real. But this was real. She was completely speechless, as she stared blankly at the other girl.

Danielle's silence made Haerin grow more and more nervous as time passed. She could almost hear the ticking of time as it passed. She tried not to let her nerves show as she kept a smile on her face, keeping a tight grip on the bouquet and not letting her confidence waver. At this point, Haerin could only think of one thing. And that one thing was rejecting.

"Haerin..." Danielle finally broke her silence. Haerin looked up and her friend had an unreadable expression on her face. "I like you too,". Danielle took the flowers and hugged it close to her, smiling brightly.

Haerin felt a sense of relief and euphoria wash over her as she processed the words. She smiled back, reaching into her pocket and extending something. Danielle slowly reached for it. Upon inspecting it, it was a bracelet made of flowers. Haerin raised her wrist to show that she had one too.

"Couple bracelets?" Danielle questioned with a raised eyebrow.

"Uh...yeah...do...do you not like it?" Haerin asked nervously, her voice becoming progessively quiet.

"I  like it!" Danielle replied happily.

"So...are we??" Haerin timidly said.

"Yep, I'm your girlfriend,".

Upon exiting the flower garden, they were met with dark grey clouds, looming threateningly above. It was suddenly much more darker than when they entered. This was bad news for Danielle whose way of proposing would no longer work. Despite Haerin already taking the initiative she still wanted to go through with her plan. Because she wanted Haerin to know just how special her presence in her life is to her, she struggled to find the words to express it just because she wasn't used to this sort of thing, but with the help from Minji and Taesan (and of course a little teasing), she managed to do it.

"Uh....Dani," 

Danielle's thoughts were interrupted when she felt a cold drop of water on her face. Then another one followed by another one. Then it was suddenly raining like someone had turned on a faucet in the sky. 

"Run!" Danielle shouted, pulling Haerin by the hand and running as fast as she could. Surprisingly it didn't matter so much that they were both getting soaked in the rain. Normally they would have been grumpy about the unfortunate turn of events but they had each other so it didn't seem so bad. In fact it was fun. Running through the rain, holding hands, laughing at the ridiculousness of the situation together, it was far from bad. Danielle had Haerin and Haerin had Danielle. That's all that mattered.

The pair stopped under the shade of the bus stop, panting and giggling. They both slumped onto the benches as they caught their breath, trying to get comfortable despite how wet their clothes were. But then it hit Danielle like a tonne of bricks. How was she going to propose to Haerin now? Despite the other girl taking the initiative she wanted to do her side too. But it appears the weather was not on her side.

"Hey Rinrin, do you want to come over to my place?" Danielle asked shyly, turning to Haerin who turned to look at her with a spark of enthusiasim in her eyes.

"Yeah, sure,"

Minji was peacefully playing video games when the door suddenly flung open and in came the loud voice of her friend announcing her arrival. Minji was met with a mixture of relief and frustration upon hearing this, because it was raining and Danielle had planned to do a picnic so she was relieved that her friend didn't push it or seemed irritated by it but also frustrated herself because she was so close to winning this level.

"Dani! You made me lose!" Minji whined, letting herself flop onto the floor. But she immediately got up when she saw Haerin standing behind Danielle, clearly trying to hold back her laughter. 

"Wait...did it work?!" Minji's mood suddenly increased drastically and she was now jumping up and down like a child.

"Yeah...but I'm not done yet," Danielle said. This made Haerin curious as to what she meant but she didn't pry, maybe it was something to do with the sudden invitation to come over.

The pair made their way to Danielle's room and got themselves warm and dry and comfortable before Danielle gestured for Haerin to come join her on the floor. The cat eyed girl cooperated as she sat beside Danielle, leaning her head on her shoulder while she watched the latter take out numerous lunch boxes. 

"I was also planning to propose to you today," Danielle revealed, making Haerin widen her eyes in shock and amusement. "But you got to it first, but I still want to tell you how I feel about you, so I planned this...except it was meant to be outside,".

"It's ok, as long as I have you I'm happy," Haerin smiled.

"Already flirting with me are you?" Danielle snickered, making her girlfriend blush slightly.

"Anyway....Haerin, like I said before, your were my light in the dark. When I felt alone and when it felt like nobody wanted to truly understand me, you were there for me with your cute smile and encouraging words...you made me feel truly loved, so there was no doubt that I fell in love with you," Danielle said her words with lots of emotion and meaning behind it.

"I'm your girlfriend now, but I'll ask again...Kang Haerin, will you be my girlfriend?"

"Yes," Haerin didn't even blink nor have to think. "I didn't know you cook," she then added, watching as Danielle opened everything up.

"I had to ask Hanni to help me," Danielle said sheepishly.

Despite the turn of events the day for both Danielle and Haerin turned out better than any of them could have imagined.