Chapter 22

Danielle tapped her fingers on the kitchen bench as she waited for Haerin to pick up. The ringtone echoed in her ear like a countdown. She was slightly annoyed at herself for leaving Haerin hanging, but she needed time to process things and the other girl always encouraged her to do that freely with her.

Minji and Taesan watched their friend just as anxious. Minji had told her cousin everything he needed to know and he was shocked how things had changed in the past few weeks. He had been hanging out with Leehan's friend group so he hadn't really been up to date with everything. And now the next thing he knows is that Haerin and Danielle are in a long distance relationship...well almost.

He couldn't imagine the anxiety the couple must be going through, after all they basically did everything together even before they had started dating. That's why Taesan always shipped them together and constantly teased them. But not only that, Minji and Hanni, another one of his fantasy couples actually had come true but now they were in the same heartbreaking situation. 

"Hello?" Haerin's voice was like cool liquid in a desert.

"Babe," Danielle spoke up, her voice shaking with relief.

"Wh..What's up Dani?" the other girl asked, seemingly nervous.

"I...I'm calling because...I want to talk about earlier,". Danielle could hear Haerin's breath hitch through the line and that made her slightly anxious. The kitty was always very understanding though, so she trusted that whatever might happen next isn't going to be too bad.

"S...Sure, what's up?" Haerin finally replied.

"I...I'm ok with it...after all, Hanni is my friend too and I want her to feel better," Danielle began. "B...But, what will that mean for us? C...Canada is on the other side of the world," she continued, the tears starting to fall down again. Minji and Taesan comforted her as she struggled with her emotions, sending the silent encouragements.

The other side of the line fell silent. 

"Well...we can always call...but it'll be a little harder to find a time that works...b..but we can make it work right?" Haerin replied, her voice soft and timid as though she was afraid.

"Yeah...H...Haerin...can you promise me something?" 

"What is it?"

"No matter what happens...we will always be together during this time...promise?" 

"Of course Dani, it'll be hard but we'll get through it," 

Danielle felt like a huge weight had been lifted off her shoulders. She breathed a sight of relief and gave her friends behind her a reassuring smile, indicating everything was alright. Taesan and Minji were beyond relieved at that.

"Hey...can Min talk to Hanni for a bit?"

The drive to the airport felt long and painful. The sun had just awoken from its peaceful slumber, peeking out from the horizon, shining its seemingly bright rays through the sky. The road was relatively quiet since it was so early in the morning. Building after building, tree after tree, house after house disappeared and faded into nothing as they drove through the roads of Seoul for the last time in a while.

Haerin rested her head on the window as she made eye contact with Joshua through the rearview mirror. The doctor had said that it would probably be easier to cope for them if they were on more casual terms, but Haerin being shy found it hard to do such a thing. She gave him a small smile as he focused back on the road. Hanni was beside her, still sleeping. She had been sleeping a lot lately and Dr Hong..oh she meant Joshua said it was normal considering her vitals showed her lack of sleep.