1 - How to Spend 10 Million Dollars in High School

NAKITA 

I guess word travels fast when you become a millionaire overnight. Or in my case, when you become a multi-millionaire. I could barely step onto the school bus before all the whispers began.

Usually on the bus I sat by myself, but now people were begging me to sit with them and even went to the extent to push their friends off the benches so they could claim they saved a special spot just for me.

I ignored them and walked to the back of the bus where my regular seat was. I sat down and put my bag in the open seat next to me to stop anyone from thinking I was opening up the opportunity to join me. 

I wasn't trying to come off as a bitch - even though from the sounds of all the whispering that's the direction my reputation was heading.

I was still shocked about everything to be honest. Two days ago I learned I had a Great Aunt Grace who peacefully passed away in her sleep and a day ago my sister, Madison, and I were told Aunt Grace left us ten million dollars each. There were no strings attached to the money. We were to spend it however and wherever and whenever we wanted. 

Madison and I instantly put our newly acquired fortunes into the band and were given colorful plastic cards to use as we spend our gigantic sums. I just couldn't wrap my head around it. Sure, I've had summer jobs since I was fourteen and now four years later I had managed to save $5,000. It was almost enough to buy a used car I had had my eye on for the past two months. But now I had enough money to buy one-thousand eight hundred and eighteen cars without even having to lift a finger. Now I could buy any car I wanted and still have it be in my price range. The power was too great and the temptations were even greater. 

Temptations were my downfall. They were all there, staring me right in the face. 

Quit your job. You don't need to earn money any more! You're set for life!

No friends? No problem! Money can fix that!

I didn't want money to change me. I didn't want to make friends who only cared about my money. I didn't want to forget what it felt like to earn money. 

So far, I'd been a millionaire for less than two days and it already felt like a burden. Money wasn't supposed to be a burden for anyone. It was supposed to keep you clothed, keep food on the table, keep up a good hygiene routine, and allow you to sleep in a warm bed and a safe place every night. But now I would always have to worry about someone who was going to try to screw me over. It wasn't exactly something I was looking forward to. 

I was snapped out of my thoughts by someone literally snapping their fingers in front of my face. I looked up and noticed a guy named Roxas was kneeling on the bus bench in front of me. He wasn't exactly a popular guy, but he wasn't unpopular either. He was kind of known for being moody and he had never really gone out of his way to pay attention to me. Even if he was my next door neighbor.

"What?" I questioned.

"Everyone else already got off the bus." Roxas said.

It wasn't until that moment I realized we were the only two left on the bus. Even the driver was nowhere in sight.

"O-Oh. Thanks." I mumbled.

"Whatever." Roxas said in a bored tone before he slid off the seat and walked off the bus.

Okay, so maybe people weren't after my fortune. Maybe I'm too in my head and people were more mature than I gave them credit for.

Yeah, and maybe pandas like Rocky Road ice cream.

I grabbed my bag and walked off the bus, hoping the day to come wasn't going to be as bad as I imagined it was going to be.  

When I hopped off the bus I noticed the rich and popular girls were staring at me and whispered to each other. Their names were Kairi, Namine, and Penelo.