Year Two: A True Gryffindor/Epilogue

*The next day, Harry and Ron were in Dumbledore's office.*

Dumbledore: You both realize, of course...that in the past few hours, you have broken perhaps a dozen school rules.

Harry/Ron: Yes, sir.

Dumbledore: There is sufficient evidence to have you both expelled.

Harry/Ron: Yes, sir.

Dumbledore: Therefore, it is only fitting...that you both receive...Special Awards for Services to the School.

*The two looked at each other and then smiled.*

Ron: Thanks, sir.

Dumbledore: Don't thank me. Thank your friend Mr. Parker.

*Ron and Harry grinned. Dumbledore smiled and got up from his desk and handed Ron a roll of Parchment.* 

Dumbledore: Now, Mr. Weasley, if you would...have an owl deliver these release papers to Azkaban. I believe we want our gamekeeper back.

*Ron nods and heads off. Dumbledore then turns to Harry.*

Dumbledore: First, I want to thank you, Harry. You and Mr. Parker must have shown me real loyalty down in the Chamber. Nothing but that could have called Fawkes to you. And...second...I sense that something is troubling you. Am I right, Harry?

Harry: It's just...You see, sir, I couldn't help but notice certain things, certain...Certain similarities between Tom Riddle and me.

Dumbledore: I see. Well, you can speak Parseltongue, Harry. Why?

*Harry shrugged.*

Dumbledore: Because Lord Voldemort can speak Parseltongue. If I'm not mistaken, Harry...he transferred some of his powers to you...the night he gave you that scar.

Harry: Voldemort transferred some of his powers to me?

*Dumbledore nodded.*

Dumbledore: Not intentionally...but yes.

*He then walks back to sit at his desk. Harry then looks at the Sorting Hat.*

Harry: So the Sorting Hat was right. I should be in Slytherin.

Dumbledore: It's true. You possess many of the qualities that Voldemort himself prizes. Determination, resourcefulness...and if I may say so, a certain disregard for the rules. Why, then, did the Sorting Hat place you in Gryffindor?

Harry: Because I asked it to.

Dumbledore: Exactly, Harry. Exactly. Which makes you different from Voldemort. It is not our abilities that show what we truly are. It is our choices. If you want proof why you belong in Gryffindor...then I suggest you look more closely at this.

*Dumbledore picks up the sword and Harry carefully takes it.*

Dumbledore: Be careful.

*Harry looks closely at the sword. He then spots a name on the blade.*

Harry: Godric Gryffindor.

Dumbledore: It would take a true Gryffindor to pull that out of the hat.

*Just then, the door opened and in came Lucius Malfoy with Dobby behind him. Harry was in shock.*

Harry: Dobby. So this is your master. The family you serve is the Malfoys.

*Dobby whimpered as he looked up at his sneering master.*

Lucius: I'll deal with you later.

*He walks over and pushes Harry out of the way.*

Lucius: Out of my way, Potter. So it's true. You have returned. 

Dumbledore: When the governors learned that Arthur Weasley's daughter...was taken into the Chamber, they saw fit to summon me back.

Lucius: Ridiculous.

Dumbledore: Curiously, Lucius, several of them...were under the impression that you would curse their family...if they did not agree to suspend me in the first place.

*Lucius looked at Dumbledore like he was offended.*

Lucius: How dare you!

Dumbledore: Beg your pardon?

Lucius: My sole concern has always been and will always be...the welfare of this school...and, of course, its students. The culprit has been identified, I presume?

Dumbledore: Yes.

Lucius: And? Who was it?

*Dumbledore looked at Harry and then back to Lucius.*

Dumbledore: Voldemort. Only this time he chose to act through somebody else...by means of this. 

Lucius: I see.

Dumbledore: Fortunately, our young Mr. Potter discovered it. One hopes that no more of Lord Voldemort's old school-things...should find their way into innocent hands. The consequences for the one responsible would be...severe.

*Lucius then turns to Harry.*