☾ - 𝐗𝐈𝐈 - ✧

{──────────── ☾ ✧ ────────────}

days passed for nova, and all she saw were the walls of her room. or, more accurately, that was all she could remember. at the end of the week, the only thing she could think of was that she hadn't felt good all of a sudden the night before the first day of the interhigh preliminaries, so she decided to go to sleep a little earlier. that was all. but looking at her phone, she had many notifications from her messages app, and she saw from her lock screen that it was now five days later.

"what happened?"

hana stared sadly at her daughter as nova looked around her room, confusion for once clear to see on her face. it was a testament to how hard the week had been for her to see her emotions so easily displayed.

hana sighed and automatically reached for nova's hand. she blinked in surprise when nova didn't immediately draw away. three seconds passed before nova tugged her pale hand from her grip and clenched it, but that was enough for hana. she blinked away tears of relief before responding to nova's question. "you had a dissociative episode. do you remember what your therapist said, about the possibility of those becoming more common after what happened to your father?"

nova nodded listlessly and focused on her bedsheets, warm from her laying in her bed for such a long time. "well, you had one. it lasted... a lot longer than your last one," hana stated softly, trying not to make nova more upset than she already was.

"i missed the interhigh matches, didn't i?" nova asked. hana nodded sadly and moved a bit closer to her from the side of the bed. "i'm sorry. there wasn't anything i could do but wait for you to wake up." her brow furrowed as she fixed nova with a serious look and frowned in disapproval. "you must have been suppressing some intense emotions to become unresponsive for so long, nova."

hana's eyes started to water again and she found it hard to keep her voice steady as she continued to speak. "i could barely get you to eat. you wouldn't verbally respond to me at all. i was so worried, nova." she stopped talking then and bowed her head, taking a moment to compose herself.

nova shifted uneasily and glanced nervously at her mother's face, then at her feelings chart across the room. "are you... sad?" she asked hesitantly. she'd never seen her mother look so upset. even after the accident, nova thought she'd looked relatively calm and reserved. but now...

(of course, what she didn't realize was that hana's smile didn't reach her eyes for weeks after the accident. she only put on a brave face for her daughter, who she knew needed her to be strong for the both of them.)