☾ - 𝐗𝐈 - ✧

{──────────── ☾ ✧ ────────────}

the next day, nova met tsukishima and yamaguchi at her front gate as if nothing had happened between them. she had resolved to not think on the incident any longer, and hopefully, if she didn't bring it up in a conversation, tsukishima wouldn't either. what happened to her was strange and out of the ordinary. she really didn't want to think about it any more...

hana rushed into the house, not even stopping to take off her shoes as she ran down the hallway into the kitchen. her frantic gaze settled on nova, who sat in the same position as when tsukishima had left her. hana slowed her pace and took careful steps towards the girl, crouching beside her chair once she was close enough to see the blank look in nova's eyes.

"nova..." hana whispered, permeating the quiet in the room. nova's playlist had run out of songs minutes ago. "nova." hana spoke again, this time more urgently, and reached out a hand to lightly shake her daughter's upper arm. nova finally moved, blinking a few times before her gaze slid to the hand wrapped around her bicep.

hana quickly took it away, knowing nova's aversion to touch. she let out a breath of relief at her movement. "are you okay? what happened? i saw tsukishima-kun before he left."

nova looked at hana, but it seemed to her as if she was looking through her, her gaze distant and unfocused. "he asked about father." her hands under the table started to shake a bit, now almost completely white from how tightly she was holding her skirt. "i didn't know. i couldn't..." she didn't finish, closing her eyes and taking a deep breath. one, two, three, four. hold for seven. exhale for 8.

hana watched as nova went through the motions of her breathing exercise, a concerned frown pulling on her lips. she knew she needed to be strong for nova, but she was worried. she usually never got so upset.

nova breathed out and raised a shaky hand to her head, her eyes still closed. "i didn't say goodbye to him. i couldn't say anything."

hana reached out a hand but stopped, slowly retracting it, and instead tried to give nova a reassuring smile. "it's okay. he wasn't upset. he told me what was going on so i could check on you." as an afterthought, she added, "i think he was concerned for you," even though nova probably wouldn't care about that.

nova frowned slightly and rubbed her head, a migraine starting to form for some reason. "i am fine."

hana pursed her lips, standing from her crouched position to lean against the table instead. she let one tired sigh escape. "really? it didn't look like it." the concerned frown returned. "you can talk to me, nova. i know your father's anniversary is coming up soon-"