☾ - 𝖎𝖓𝖙𝖊𝖗𝖑𝖚𝖉𝖊: 𝖙𝖍𝖊 𝖘𝖙𝖆𝖗'𝖘 𝖒𝖊𝖒𝖔𝖗𝖎𝖊𝖘 - ✧

{──────────── ☾ ✧ ────────────}

a man and a woman sat in chairs facing a desk with their hands clutching each others. a doctor in a white coat sat across from them.

"are you sure?" the man asked, looking at the doctor with wide eyes. the doctor nodded, glancing once at his papers before focusing on the couple again. the woman had started to cry silently, but he let her have a moment to compose herself while he spoke to her husband.

"yes. she has autism."

the man nodded and began rubbing soothing circles on his wife's back as he checked on his daughter, who sat behind them on the one sofa in the office.

the blonde-haired child had on headphones as she watched something intently on her ipad, gaze completely focused. she did not notice her mother's distress.

"i didn't realize… i feel like a fool," hana whispered, breathing in a shaky breath as she wiped away the tears on her cheeks. will turned back to her and made a soothing sound, adamantly shaking his head. "hana, no. you can't do this to yourself. how could we have known?"

the doctor smiled reassuringly at them. "it's very common for the early signs of autism to go unrecognized. it's good that you thought to bring her in for an evaluation now. she is high-functioning, so i am confident that with the right knowledge, you will be able to help her grow." he pushed a box of tissues on his desk closer to hana, who nodded in thanks and grabbed one to dab her eyes.

"she barely speaks," will spoke solemnly, with worry shining in his eyes. "she's withdrawn from all of the other kids her age. we tried to put her in a daycare, but…" he sighed and shook his head. "she had a breakdown, crying and screaming the first day i tried to drop her off, and started shaking so much that i decided it wasn't worth it." hana nodded in agreement, a little more composed now.

the doctor clasped his hands in front of him, looking between the two of them as he spoke. "i would advise you to homeschool nova from now on, if you can," he said. "this is a very delicate stage in your child's life. she needs a lot of care and attention right now." he looked over at nova, who had started to excitedly tap her fingers on the back of the ipad as she moved her head to the music coming from her headphones.

"i think, considering the circumstances, she has been cared for very well," he finished, looking back at nova's parents with a small smile.

☾ ✧

"no."

"oh, come on, starlight! i think you'll really like it," nova's father said, looking down at her with hopeful eyes.