prologue

Alice was sat at the end of the dining room table nervously glancing at her parents at the other end. The Turgot' were sat in complete silence in their Longere. Her parents looked at each other before her father nodded, "Alice, dear." he slowly started.

"Yes father?" Alice replied stuttering.

"We have something important to discuss with you," her father continued, "you know how parents making match for their children is normal. We have taken it upon ourselves to do the same with you."

"So I am to be married?" The girl sighed. She knew this time would come, but didn't think it would be this soon.

"Not until you are both ready." Her mother cutting in giving her daughter a kind smile.

"He's a lovely, smart boy." Her father reassured, "top of his class his parents say."

Alice nodded not wanting to discuss it anymore, she just wished she could go to bed as she has a long day of school tomorrow. It's the first time she gets to go to school, because it the nearest one to her longere, that allows girls to attend. It's the first mixed school in France.

"We'll be having dinner with his family so that you can get to know one another." Her father continued.

"Yes, father." Alice nodded, "may I be excused for bed?"

"Of course." Her parents nodded, Alice stood up and went over to kiss them on the cheek goodnight before heading to bed.