five

Today was the day that the students get given their grades back from the first assignments of the year. First was history, which Alice got a 9/20. Not too bad considering she did know most of the words on the paper. Luckily she had been getting better considering Felbec was tutoring her in French. Surprisingly, Alice did better in Latin getting a 15/20, maybe her latin is better than French. In Maths she got a 12/20 which she was pleased with. Of course French was her lowest score which she got a 5/20.

And English, which she got an 19/20, get the highest in the class. Annick turned to the girl to look at her paper. "See, I told you, you would do well." The girl nudged Alice smiling at her.

Lastly, Philosophy which she got a 9/20 again. As Mr. Marcelin walked about the room handing back papers, he began introducing the next assignment.

"As you know, this is a school where we like to experiment with new methods," He remarked as he finished passing back the last grades.

"Next week, we're going to try a new approach--you're going to prepare a presentation, working in pairs."

The room instantly filled with a hushed chatter as students began to eagerly discuss with their tablemates.

"Let me finish," Marcelin said while raising his hand to silence the class.

"You will be working in predetermined pairs to cover a famous philosopher and their contribution to modern thinking." Mr. Marcelin stepped towards his lectern where he had placed a packet of papers earlier. "Here are the partners--you better get to know them because you'll be working with them for the rest of this week," He announced.

"Belkacem and Vergoux," Marcelin started.

"Miss Magnan and Miss Palladino,"

"Miss Sabiani and Pichon."

Annick looked relaxed but the sharp exhale gave away that she was anything but pleased. A few inaudible comments interrupted the partnering causing countless students to chuckle.

"Turgot and Felbec," Causing the two to look at each other in fear. Not of each other, but of what others will think as everyone now knows about them.

Dupin lowly whistling making fun of the two." They won't get much work done." He chuckled with Descamps, Felbec turned bright red glaring at the two boys. Alice turned around to face them.

"At lest he can get a girl. Where are your girlfriends Descamps, Dupin?" Alice defended Felbec. Dupin and Descamps looked at the girl in shook.

"That's enough, Dupin," the teacher scolded before continuing down the list.

Later on in lunch Annick and Alice walked over to Pichon, Felbec and Applebaum to discuss with their partner about the assignment.

"I'm free tomorrow or Wednesday after class." Annick started towards Pichon. "And I'd rather go to your place."

"My place is a little complicated." Pichon stuttered.

"I live too far." Annick pushed.

"It's just that I have sisters. A lot of sisters."

"So what?"

Alice started to shift on her feet at how uncomfortable this conversation was, and at Applebaum clearly staring at the two girls breasts.

"So, your place tomorrow at 5:00 then?" Annick confirmed, but saw Applebaum's staring and scoffed before walking away. Leaving the boy to stare at Alice, who again shifted uncomfortably. Felbec saw and elbowed Applebaum harshly.

"We could start after we've had dinner with both our families?" Felbec suggested smiling at the girl. The two families have been having dinner together every Thursday after school for Didier and Alice to get to know each other.

Alice nodded, "I'll see you Thursday then. Goodbye Didier." She then walked over to Annick who was waiting patiently for the girl to finish her conversation.

"Goodbye Alice."

The next time the class sat in Mrs. Giraud class Alice was alone in the front desk. As Pichon walked passed her desk to get to his she asked, "Have you seen Annick? She not normally late."

"Sorry Alice, I haven't." Pichon gave the girl an apologetic look before heading to the back.

A few minutes after class started Annick rushed in looking frantic and disheveled, her hair messy. Mrs. Giraud who was not please with Annick's tardiness gave her detention for the rest of the week. When Annick sat down Alice whispered to her, "Are you okay? How come your late?"

"I had to run to school. My bike has gone missing."