5 [UDAY]

I had a short life with my mother.

She left the world when I was ten.

I grew up in an orphanage with seven other abandoned kids.

It did not take much time for me to adapt to the new environment because I have lived like that in the house where my mother worked.

The fat old lady who owned the house was kind-hearted but strict.

She would beat you up with a cane and then go back to her room to bring some ointment for the wounds she had inflicted.

Compared to her, my mother was an angel.

Her black, lustrous curls bounced along near her hip when she took a walk down the street with me by her side, hanging onto her hand like a monkey. 

Her infectious laugh attracted attention from every corner.

In the evening, when she had to dress up to entertain guests, I used to get mesmerized by her beauty.

My mother's name suited her a lot—Jamini—a flower that blooms at night.

When everybody went to sleep, my mother took me up to the rooftop and told me stories and hummed lullabies which put me off to sleep instantly.

I wish I was strong enough to stay awake through the night so that I could hear her melodious voice ringing in the air as the darkness watched on.

Nobody knew who my father was except my mother and she preferred to keep it a secret.

Her work was strenuous and it left her lifeless at times.

I have seen other women in that house tell my mother to leave that house with me and set up a little shop somewhere. That way, they said, she can give me a better life.

It angered me, every time I heard that conversation.

My mother was giving me her best.

Despite being lifeless, I saw her coming to life for me when she took me up on the roof.

Sometimes, when the business slacked a little, my mother cooked me delicious food which she heard of from her customers.

When she told me stories, despite my sleepiness, I saw her eyes glistening brightly in the moonlight.

She loved me and did her best for me.

I would not dare to ask more from her.

I simply wanted her to live for herself, even if it was for once.