Changes

Welcome back, everyone! I hope you enjoy this chapter.

Changes

It was now nearing the end of October at Hogwarts and the school was entering the Christmas exam preparation cycle. They were still to go ahead as scheduled, even as Hogwarts' protective bubble from the war grew ever closer to bursting. The last of true normalcy for some time at the school, most feared. Minerva was now 45, a fact that put her current situation into an even clearer perspective. He had insisted that she did not want to be celebrated, but she had arrived at her quarters the evening of her birthday to find it decorated and with Louise and Poppy sitting at the table with a cake in front of them. She was glad it happened, they had had a wonderful evening. They talked of the past, Poppy and Minerva's school days, her childhood filled with anecdotes of what Louise's father had been like as a child, and many many shared memories. Never so much do people talk of what has been than when they know nothing of what is to be. That is the nature of war, blurring your vision with memories so you lose just a little sight of what is crumbling around you. The night was a late one, but one that was much needed.

As the year moved ever closer to its end all that Minerva could think about was what the new one would bring. She was showing a little now. It wasn't blatant just yet, but if you knew to look for it, which everyone around her did, you could most definitely tell. She didn't know if she would ever quite get used to the idea of an ever-changing reflection. She'd gone to see Poppy the week before as per her once-a-month checkup schedule and the mediwitch had told her that everything was progressing just perfectly, much to her relief. She'd also told her that it wouldn't be long now before she would be able to feel the baby move. Minerva found that idea simultaneously exciting and terrifying. It would make everything so very much more real. But she wasn't the only one exhibiting noticeable changes. Severus had been acting incredibly strange toward her lately. It wasn't anything drastic, just little things like being the first to vacate his chair in a full room after she entered or insisting to do all the mock Christmas exam marking instead of halving the load as Albus had always done. She felt almost sure that all of these actions were out of guilt. Guilt over costing a child their father. Even though they both knew well that Albus hadn't given him much choice in the matter. She didn't know what he thought had gone on between her and Albus, but she hoped he knew them both well enough to guess it had not been some great, prolonged romantic liaison. Although she knew of his past and all that it entailed, as well as the many rumours that it was not all behind him, she felt sorry for him. She was the only other person in the whole world who was privy to Albus's plan. To everybody else, Albus Dumbleore's death had been a cold-blooded murder. And no one deserves something like that pinned to their person. She knew she should speak to him soon. She didn't know exactly when, but it would have to be soon.

November crept its way onto the calendar and it was a crisp Saturday afternoon when Louise was around for lunch. She was sitting at the table with her defence against the dark arts book and parchments strewn across the table in an attempt to complete the homework that Professor Snape had set. Minerva had decided to take a break from her own homework marking and was lounging with her feet up on the settee by the fire reading a book. Suddenly, she felt a swift and rather odd sensation low in her stomach, causing her to gasp and sit bolt upright. It wasn't pain, but it wasn't exactly comfortable either. Louise was startled by the outburst and spun round in her chair to face Minerva.

"Min what is it?" she questioned, concern marring her face.

Minerva fumbled for a moment trying to think of the words to describe it.

"I- I don't know," she said confusedly "I just-" she stopped as it happened again and this time her free hand flew to where it occurred.

"You don't think-?" Louise trailed off, a smile creeping across her face as the cogs began to turn.

Minerva had begun to think the exact same thing and let the incredible realisation wash over her.

"Yes, yes I-I think so".

Louise gasped in excitement and a hand flew to her mouth.

"Come here," Minerva said excitedly holding out her hand toward her niece. Louise rose from her chair and went to her, holding out her hand as well. Minerva took it and gently placed it on her stomach, smiling up at her. The two women sat in silence for a moment, waiting on bated breath until the baby took the opportunity to place another swift kick right where Louise's hand was. She gasped again, jerking her hand back in surprise and looked at Minerva who was grinning from ear to ear. How real it all was seemed impossible

Thank you all so much for reading! I really hope you enjoyed this chapter and I'll have the next one up as soon as I can. As always, a review would mean a lot to me, and I hope to see you all again soon!