Lifetimes

Hi all!  A shorter update today, hope all is well and that you enjoy!

Lifetimes

The unaccustomed Highlands was treated to a bout of beautiful sunshine that winter morning. As the train passed through the final tunnel Minerva reveled in the landscape, decorated with the remnants of a light snow quickly succumbing to the fine weather. It was an absolutely glorious day. Minerva stepped from from the train and deeply inhaled the cold, homely air. She had been raised just a twenty minute walk from here, in fact they would pass her childhood home on the way to Louise's. It was now home to the Murray's and their four children whom Minerva knew well. John Murray was her brother's best friend since childhood, they had worked together and he was still an active auror out on assignment at the moment. Minerva had always been friendly with Sophie Murray, Sophie Brown when she had met her. Minerva's father had left her the house after his death, but when she decided to pursue a ministry career in London and with her brother settle into his own home with his young family she put the home up for sale. John approached her her just weeks later and she had no trouble making the sale. It always made her smile, the idea that a place she had been so happy would now have the chance to do that again for people she cared for so much. It was comforting to see life go on in a place you had lived so much of it in.

"Da!" Louise cried, spotting her father waiting for them on the platform.

"Hello love," he replied as he reached her and hugged her tightly.

Minerva walked up behind them as the two caught up briefly. When her brother turned to her he smiled. Malcom McGonagall was the image of his father, tall, lean, with brown hair and brow eyes. He was the middle of the McGonagall children, 5 years older than Minerva. They had been thick as thieves as children and each others rocks through many of the trials of their early lives. Especially when their brother had been killed 20 years ago. She did not write to him as much as she should. Malcolm wrote often, but they went unanswered for too long. She despised herself for being distant, but the look he gave her now told her he understood. But the guilt nonetheless ate away at her. She should write more.

"Look at you!" he teased, arms out as he walked over to her

"Don't you start," she warned, although she smiled over his shoulder as he hugged her tightly.

Louise watched the reunion with a slightly heavy heart. Minerva and he father had not seen each other for quite some time. She knew that it hurt him, he asked after her every time he wrote and playfully, but sincerely, asked Louise to urge her to write to him soon. She was supposed to come back with Louise over the summer, but after Dumbledore's death she had cancelled to stay and assist with funeral plans and administration transfers. She had written a brief update before term. The next and almost last he had heard from her was about the baby shortly after Louise had been told. The child's paternity had not been a part of the letter, Minerva desired that to be left to an in person conversation with her brother. A conversation Louise knew her aunt was dreading.

After exchanging the usual pleasantries Malcom declared "Right then!" and picking up Minerva's bag they set off for the McGonagall home.

The walk was just over half an hour and an absolutely beautiful one on a day like this. The trio stopped to take in the warmly lit windows of the old McGonagall place as they passed it.

"God, that seems like a lifetime ago" Malcolm almost whispered

"It was" his sister responded.

They shared a melancholy look before continuing their journey. The new McGonagall cottage was cozy and tasteful. It was built near the turn of the century and oozing with the charm that came with that.

"We're back love!" Malcolm called as he pushed open the door.

In the hall appeared Orla McGonagall, a sunny, redheaded, green eyed Irish witch with a beam a mile long. Minerva had always liked Orla. She had always been immensely kind to her and an absolute godsend for her brother. They had been married young in the early days of the first war, Minerva, just a girl then, was one of ten attendees at their quiet wedding. They knew that nothing was certain except for the fact that they wanted to spend the rest of their lives together, however long or short the current world would make them. She was the most wonderful of women and Minerva was honoured to have her as a sister in law.

"At last!" she beamed, first embracing her daughter and then her sister in law.

"Oh Minerva you look wonderful" she said with a kind smile. "You two must be starved, come in and sit down".

That evening was one of the most magical Minerva had ever had. It was as if they had entered some kind of alternate world where everything that was going on in the wizarding world had been left at the front door. She did not think she had laughed in months. But around that table laughter had her in tears. Her brother was the most incredible story teller, the colour and life he brought to every character made it so you could almost see the scene in front of you. The evening wore well into the wee hours until slowly but surely people began to retire to bed. And Minerva slept soundly for the first time she could recall from recent memory.

Thank you for reading! Take care and I'll see you soon!