No More Avoiding It

Hello again! Thank you so much for coming back to read and I hope you enjoy this chapter!

No More Avoiding It

The day they'd all been waiting for finally arrived. It was the Saturday before the Christmas holidays and after a tedious week of exams, the occupants of Hogwarts were excitedly preparing for the night ahead. The Great Hall was beautifully decorated as it always was for Christmas, but with some extra touches here and there to mark the occasion. The usual rows of wooden benches were replaced by silver chairs around the edge of the room leaving an open centre, much like for the Yule Ball four years ago. Up in Gryffindor tower, Louise was finishing getting ready with Catherine for the evening.

"Do me up Lou, would you?" the girl asked, coming to stand in front of the mirror as she straightened out her necklace. Louise had transfigured her empty trunk into a floor-length mirror to substitute the small one that had sat atop their shared vanity.

"Yes, one second" she replied, tying up her shoe.

"Give us a twirl!" she was asked as she walked over and Louise spun around with a big smile. She was wearing a deep blue floor-length dress with a flowy skirt and medium straps. Her hair was in loose curls around her shoulders.

"Oh Lou you're so pretty!" her friend exclaimed. After allowing Louise to do up her dress she continued. "Now, what about me?"

Clara wore a straight, strapless lavender gown with her hair curled in a trendy half up-half down hairstyle with white butterfly clips throughout.

"You look gorgeous Catherine!" Louise said, admiring her as she stood back.

"You heading up to see McGonagall?"

"Yes, I think I'll look in. See you in a bit?"

"Yes, I'll wait for you at the bottom of the stairs"

The two then gave themselves some finishing touches and parted ways for the time being.

Minerva had finished dressing and was sitting down in front of the mirror putting in her earrings. She was wearing a long, flowing dress in a deep navy with her hair held up loosely around her head by a gorgeous diamond hair clip.

"Come in!" she called as knocking filled the room. She looked once more to the mirror before turning around and smiling as Louise emerged.

"You look beautiful," Minerva said quietly, smiling and admiring her dress.

"Thank you," Louise replied watching Minerva put the back on her second earring before she stood up. "Go on then, give us a twirl!"

Minerva chuckled as she spun around, with a dramatic curtsy at the end. Louise giggled.

"Beautiful!"

"Have your friends gone down already?"

"Yes," Louise replied "Are you ready?"

Minerva nodded and after giving a final glance to the mirror she followed her from the room.

The women walked down the staircase toward the great hall and Louise caught sight of Catherine waiting at the bottom with other friends. She wished her aunt a wonderful evening and ran off to join the group. Minerva entered the great hall and stood for a moment, taking in her surroundings. It was far less formal an event than the Yule Ball, but the simplistic decorations were beautifully tasteful and everyone in attendance looked wonderful. There were quite a few couples in the middle of the room already. While it appeared many had remembered their lessons from a few years ago it was quite clear many others had not retained the skills she and the other teachers had desperately tried to drill into them. The reminiscence caused by the occasion brought her back to when she had been standing at the edge, watching for the first time her teaching being put to use. When all of a sudden Albus grabbed her hand and took her to the centre of the room. How he'd lead her elegantly around the room and picked her up by the waist as he spun her around, making her laugh out loud. She was pulled from her daydream by Poppy as she came up behind her and the two made their way to where the teachers had congregated.

Severus as always silently rose from his chair. She took it, muttering awkward words of thanks as he passed her to go and fetch himself a drink. A few minutes later Severus returned and walked up to her.

"Will you dance with me, Minerva?"

He asked the question in his usual blank tone and sporting an expressionless face. Although taken aback at first by his request, she was deeply intrigued and so put down the glass of water in her hand and took his, allowing him to lead her to the middle of the room.

Minerva and Severus' friendship was certainly not a linear one, particularly owing to the strain of recent events. But overall, it had always been an amicable one. They worked well together, the working of their minds was exceptionally complimentary and their collaboration was always efficient and effective. Despite her initial scepticism about how far he really had distanced himself from his past, Dumbledore trusted him completely. And thus, she learned to trust him too. And as she did that she learned to rather like him too. He was no-nonsense, blunt, and always to the point like herself. He also had a quick sense of humour and when in an environment he was comfortable in his company was always quite enjoyable. They had shared many drinks and card games over the years and she valued his friendship highly. But for obvious reasons, things had been quiet between them recently.

Many students were too busy dancing or chatting to notice, but there was a distinct drop in the volume of the room and several confused and almost judgmental eyes fell on the two people that took to the floor.

"Lou, do you see that?!" Clara gawped, pointing her friend in the direction of the unfolding scene

"See wha-...bloody hell!" The girl stopped in her tracks, eyes wide with shock and confusion. "What on Earth is he playing at?!"

"Well, Dumbledore danced with her when he was headmaster so maybe it's some sort of tradition? I suppose she just wants to get it over and done with."

Louise nodded and agreed, but inwardly felt it may run a little deeper. The other watchers seemed to have come to the same or a similar conclusion and returned to their previous preoccupations.

Minerva and Severus tried to ignore the obvious scrutiny and just looked straight ahead.

"You'll tell me if you want to stop?" he said, putting his hand on her waist.

Not liking to be coddled, but not wanting to make things even more awkward than they were already she plainly answered:

"Yes".

The music had switched to a relatively slow waltz so they took up a fairly steady pace as they moved across the floor. They exchanged a few standard inquiries, exams, the weather, and the like but soon fell into silence. Minerva really didn't know what to make of the whole situation. This was incredibly out of character for Severus, he hated dances with a burning passion. He had made no secret of that fact when the Yule Ball was being planned and she thought he would have a stroke when the teacher lessons for the Yule Ball were announced. And now, here they were. Suddenly he spoke up.

"You look well Minerva,"

As he said this he never once moved his gaze from over her shoulder, acting as if he had not said anything at all. She tripped over her words in surprise.

"Th- thank you, Severus."

He however looked haggard. His face was pale and the circles around his eyes were deep and set. His forehead was deeply lined from the frequent expression of stress and worry. He was a shell of the confident, somewhat cocky, but above all strong man that had swaggered through Hogwarts years before. When the song ended he let go of her and they both turned toward the band and clapped. At this stage, Minerva's feet were putting up quite the fight so she was making her parting excuses to the headmaster when he interrupted her.

"May I speak with you privately?"

She paused. Then, she nodded cautiously before following him to the door.

Thank you all so much for reading! I hope you enjoyed it and I'll see you soon!