Perspective

Hello all, welcome back! The summer is fast approaching and I hope if the sun is increasing in your area too that you are loving it as much as I am! Enjoy!

Perspective

Since their encounter by the stables there was a renewed closeness between Minerva and Louise. It was one of those moments that neither knew they had needed so much until it happened. They now stood side by side in the kitchen attempting to bake a cake. An endeavour proving far more difficult than either had first imagined.

"TWO TEASPOONS? I thought you said four!"

"Where on Earth did you get four from?"

"You definitely said four, I'm positive you did"

"I most definitely did not"

"Yes you di-"

"Ladies," Malcom interjected, fighting laughter at this point. "It won't matter whether you've put two or twenty two teaspoons of baking powder in because the way you're both going there will be no cake. Now, you've no eggs in it yet so why don't we all take a deep breath, have something to eat, and once we've cooled off come back to it?"

"Alright," Louise sighed, stepping away from the counter. "But she most definitely said four teaspoons of baking powder"

Minerva hit her with the tea towel she was wiping her hands with, pursing her lips as she did so.

"DA!" Louise exclaimed, looking at him expectedly with her mouth wide open. Malcom could no longer help it and laughed out loud before excusing himself to refill the horse feed.

Minerva sat down heavily with sigh.

"Merlin, I miss being able to stand comfortably"

"I'm afraid it's only down hill from here," Orla chuckled placing some sandwiches down in the centre of the table. "It felt as though I'd drop if I stood longer than 10 minutes with Louise"

"Once trouble, always trouble it would seem" Minerva smirked and Louise shot her a look before sitting.

"You haven't long now really," Orla continued. "Just over three months isn't it?"

"Christ don't remind me," Minerva half winced. "I'm trying not to think about it"

"You will be absolutely fine," Orla said kindly, placing a hand on Minerva's shoulder as she walked behind her to sit.

"Min, will you have the baby at home or St. Mungo's?" Louise quizzed as she tore into a sandwich.

"Poppy says if all stays well then I shouldn't have any issues at home and she assures me she'll brush up on her maternity knowledge before the big day"

"I remember she was on the St. Mungo's ward when I delivered you Lou," Orla smiled, also taking a sandwich. "They were short on hands during the first war and people were getting shifted left right and centre. She had done six weeks there by the time I saw her. She was up on all the gossip and used it as a very affective distraction"

"That sounds about right," Minerva chuckled, pouring a cup of hot chocolate from a pot on the table.

"OH NO!" Louise suddenly exclaimed, clapping a hand to her mouth. "I completely forgot, I'm supposed to be meeting Joyce Medly at The Phoenix for lunch in 20 minutes. She is going to kill me, I've already cancelled on her twice"

With that, the girl wolfed the last of her sandwich and rushed upstairs.

"That also sounds about right," Orla quipped and the two women laughed as they heard the front door slam.

Orla got up to grab some biscuits and Minerva traced the rim of her mug.

"Orla, can I ask you a few of things?" she said, looking up "About labour, birth. I've had the technical run down from Poppy already but I'd find it helpful to have a first hand perspective if you're comfortable telling me?"

Even though it was an awkward sensation to find herself the student again after all these years, as a transfiguration professor Minerva knew that there was absolutely no substitute for practical experience. And she needed solid, honest answers. She didn't want books that beat about the bush, telling her how "the pain is worth the reward, you need only think about the end goal and the "miracle of life". She wanted to be as informed as possible with an authentic account of the good, the bad, and the horrendous.

"Of course you can love," her sister in law smiled kindly, turning to face her. "Ask me anything, I'm more than happy to tell you everything I can"

"Well I suppose the first thing is, how long did it last? The whole process I mean"

"Well," Orla began as she walked back to the table "As you know it differs in general, but also depends on how many children you've had. I was in labor for about 22 hours in all with Thomas, but for Louise it was just under 14. Other things such as your age do play into it as well."

"So I'm in for a treat then," Minerva grimaced as the other woman retook her place at the table.

"It's safe to say you'll have felt better," Orla replied sympathetically. "Now, the first bit, your early labor, is the bit that takes the longest. I was at it over 12 hours with Thomas. But you'll know well from Poppy that it can go longer or shorter."

Poppy had talked Minerva through these timings and she knew it could take that long. But it struck a different chord hearing it from someone with first hand experience. Her stomach sank a bit. It had all somehow seemed almost theoretical coming from Poppy.

"What kinds of things did you use to take you mind off of the early stage?" the witch continued. "You hear lots of things about breathing in pamphlets and the like but is there anything else you did that was helpful?"

"It's is the calm before the storm really. It's by no means easy or particularly comfortable but it's the part you can take most at your own pace. Breathing is helpful, but my advice is to rest as much as you can, you'll need it. Take a bath, read a book. If you start at night try your best to sleep. Lots of people find walking helpful, I did. Christ, Malcolm and I must have done about 14 laps of the upper field. You'll find out what you need as things get going".

Minerva nodded, internally logging all this advice.

"Were you up or laying down?"

"I stood up mainly, but I also kneeled for a bit when I got tired. There's nothing wrong with laying down mind you, and if that's how you cope best than do it. But if you can manage it let gravity help you".

The woman reached forward and refilled her mug.

"But the biggest piece of advice I'll give you is don't think you aren't allowed to be frightened. We're all raised with this narrative of "It's perfectly natural, you're built knowing what to do so there's no need to be frightened of anything". It's all absolute bollocks. Having a baby is absolutely terrifying, no matter how prepared you think you are. Don't convince yourself you're being trivial, if you're worried then it is a big deal. Never let yourself feel bothersome, Poppy is there to help you and any concern you have is a chief one. You can do it, of course you can. But you do not have to do it alone."

Minerva paused a moment to process this. And found it unexpectedly brought her to tears. Minerva was frightened. She was so incredibly frightened. But the pit in her stomach now told her just how much.

"Oh darling," Orla said and she leaned forward to embrace her.

"It is so much, it is all so much. But you can do it and you will do it. And we are all here for you whenever you need reminding"

"Thank you," Minerva choked, meeting her eyes and smiling as best she could. Orla kindly wiped away her tears. They took a moment, but the two then continued their conversation. Minerva took her time and emptied her mind of any question she could think of and her heart of any worries. And Orla sat attentively, advising, reassuring, and just holding her hand.

Thank you for reading! Bit of a longer update today, but I honestly really enjoyed writing it. See you soon, take care!