(㇏(42)ノ)

Devon rolled to his back as he woke up. It was almost dark outside and Dan was still knocked out cold in his arm.

Slipping free from Dan, Devon went into the bathroom immediately seeing the full tub. He cussed himself and pulled the plug out.

Quickly finishing up his business, Devon went to his room, looking out the window. He kept staring at the forest far ahead.
How many times has he looked out the window, with Charles or Charlie resting on his lap, and he never thought anyone would be in those woodlands.

A knock made him snap out of it.

“Enter.”

Devon stood up as Khumbani and Warrick entered with Sean.
“Go sit on the bed. Not too close to him.” Warrick told Sean.

“So, what wild things did you tell mother?” Devon asked, sitting next to Dan's sleeping form.

“That we were following a lead and we were taken hostage. Though they weren't doing it to get ransom money.” Warrick explained.

Both Khumbani and Devon looked at him strangely. “In turn they wanted secrets instead of whatever money mom or dad can give.”

“Government secrets are something some would kill for.” Khumbani noted.

“Alright, I heard enough. I'm going to tell mother about Dan's…upbringing.” Devon's fingers dragged through Dan's locks. “It's funny. If you never dragged me to that dump, I never would've been there to buy Dan.”

Dan eyes cracked open, stretching as he did. “Hello, sleepy head.” Dan wanted to close his eyes to sleep again, but Devon made him sit up straight.

Sean stared at Dan. “Why is his eyes like that?”

“He's born like that, Sean.”

Dan turned his attention to Khumbani and Sean. “Who are they?”

“Sean is Warrick's pet and the other is King Khumbani of South Africa.” Devon introduced.

Khumbani went closer to Dan. “Fascinating! Dan, I must say! You're special and unique!”

“Thanks?” Dan said confused. He didn't feel special or unique in anyway. “Shouldn't we go see your parents?”

“We should actually. I'm going to have to put a collar on you as a cover for a bit.” Dan nodded and held Dan's hand.

“It's okay.” Dan said as Devon handed him the eyepatch. Dan put it on, smiling. Devon stood up, getting them better clothes. The pair quickly got dressed in the bathroom and left the room.

Warrick, Khumbani and Sean followed Dan and Devon to the main sleeping quarters.

“Devon,” Warrick walked up ahead, stopping Devon, “Dad looks terrible. He isn't well.” Warrick warned.

“I know, Warrick. I still have to see them regardless. Maybe seeing us both in one piece will ease him a bit.”

Warrick stepped aside as he knocked. Valaria opened the door, eyes wide when she saw Devon and Dan.

“You two should be resting.”

“We were asleep the whole day, mother. Can I just see father, please?”  Valaria hesitated at first, eventually stepping aside.

Devon's eyes widen. His father looked like a lifeless zombie. Skinny, sunken in skin and old. “Valaria…who's there?” He spoke barely in a whisper. It reminded Devon of the sound a strangled person would make while trying to breathe.

Devon dropped the leash and went over to his father. “Father?” Devon held his hand.

“Devon…is that…you?”