Chapter 5

Chapter 5

"Okay, you're all done." I said, tying off Maddy's braid and helping her off the counter. "Thanks mommy, can i wear some of your perfume today?" She asked, making me stop dead in my tracks, "why do you wanna wear my perfume?" I asked, sitting on the bed to put my socks on."I don't know, i just want you to be with me on my first day of school." She said, fiddling with the bracelets on her wrist. My chest tightened at her words so i picked her up and put her on my lap, "I know these last few weeks have been hard on you honey but works been busy and mommy's new job is very important. Ill tell you what, how about this weekend we go out for ice cream, just the two of us then you can pick a movie to watch at the theater."

I smiled as she gasped in excitement, sliding off my lap. "Really?! I'm gonna tell Bailey!" She exclaimed, running out of my room while calling out for the blonde. I went back to getting ready only to be interrupted once more and this time it was by 2 little girls. "Aunt Alyssa, is it true that you and Maddy are going to the movies this weekend?" Bailey asked, her pony tail still swinging back and forth as she came to a stop in my doorway, "and getting ice cream." Maddy said as she finally caught up, "aww i wanna go." The blonde pouted while crossing her arms over her chest. "Well if your mom says yes then you guys can come too." I said, crouching down to the girls level. "Yay!" They exclaimed before running downstairs, yelling about this weekends plans.

~

"Morning guys." I said, setting my bag down on my desk. Spencer looked up from the case file he was reading and greeted me with a big smile which i returned. Everyone said their hellos before returning to their conversation. I noticed that JJ was no where to be seen which is weird because shes usually early. "Where's JJ?" I asked spencer in a hushed voice as to not interrupt the others. "She's in Hotch's office with Strauss, they've been in there for a while." He replied leaning forward on his elbows, his eyebrows knit together in slight concern. "Oh no, what do you think they're talking about?" I leaned against his desk, my expression mirroring his. He obviously knows this place better than i do so if he has cause for concern then i should too.

"I don't know but they've been in there for over 20 minutes." He said, opening his drawer and pulling out a bottle of tums. I raised my eyebrow at him as he gathered a few in his hand and tossed them into his mouth. "Dairy is not his friend." Emily said to me before openly scolding him about his choice in breakfast. "Are you lactose intolerant too?!" I asked making everyone laugh at the misplaced excitement in my voice. "Roughly 65% of people develope an intolerance for lactose after infancy, this number is even higher in east Asian countries at almost 90%" he rambled causing the rest of the team to roll their eyes before making their way back to their desks. "That's actually really interesting, i didn't know that." I shrugged, pushing off his desk and walking around to my own to unpack my bag.

"Thanks, most people get annoyed when i spew random facts." His cheeks glowed red as he spoke, looking down at his folded hands. "Well i for one love your random facts doc. Although i didn't develop my intolerance until i was 17." I could tell he wanted to ask why when the realization hit him. "Yeah, that year messed me up in ways i never could've predicted." I chuckled quietly, meeting his empathetic gaze. After a beat of silence he stood up from his desk and approached mine, "You know, if you ever want to talk about it im just a call away." It was my turn to blush as i felt his hand rest gently on my shoulder. I reached up and placed my hand over his, giving it a reaffirming squeeze. "I might just take you up on that offer." I smiled nervously as i realized i was still holding his hand.

JJ suddenly emerged from Hotch's office and everyone who was watching their conversation scrambled in an attempt to look like they weren't. Hotch came out soon after and announced that we were headed to Atlantic beach, Maryland so we all grabbed our bags and made our way to the air strip. Once we got on the plane Spencer stopped in his tracks and hung his head, "i don't feel so good." Was all he got out before he b-lined for the washroom. I looked to Hotch with concern before he nodded, telling me that they'd wait to go over the case and with that i ran after him. I waited until it was silent before knocking lightly on the door. "Hey Spence, its Alyssa. Are you okay?" I asked, leaning against the door in an attempt to listen in over the whirring of the engine below.

Suddenly the door flew open and i stumbled into the bathroom. Spencer caught me at the last second, his hands gripped my waist tightly as he pulled me up with surprising ease. "Sorry, i didn't expect you to be that close." He chuckled nervously, his hands remained in place for a second longer before he pulled them away slowly. "Its okay, i just wanted to see if you were okay." I stumbled over my words, a mix of embarrassment and flattery overwhelmed me. "You uh, got some on your tie." I said, gesturing to the spot as he grunted. "Great, this is one of my favourite." He groaned as he undid it and slipped it over his head. Something about the way he grabbed me and how he looked with his disheveled hair and lack of tie made my head spin. I gave a lame excuse about hating vomit before returning to my seat. What has gotten into me today?