Chapter 4

(Above is Caspian)

The first three classes went by, lunch quickly arrived and Keon found Alexander in the crowd of popular kids. He walked by and waved to Alexander, knowing there wasn't any room for him to sit with him. Alexander gave him a friendly wave and got up, walking to Keon's side. 

"You don't have to sit with me, Alexander."

"Yes I do, you're my friend, silly." He said, giving a playful nudge on the shoulder as he held his lunchbox. Keon rolled his eyes as they sat at a table near the corner of the room. 

"Hey, how'd you get that Caspian guy to talk to you?"

"I'm not sure, guess he just felt like talking to me."

"Or he found you cute~." Alexander teased, Keon laughed.

"I doubt that, plus you know I'm not into guys." Keon said, Alexander shrugged.

"Understandable." He said, taking a bite of an apple.

Keon found himself start to space out, he felt like the voices around him got muffled. Until Alexander said Keon's name,

"Keon?"

"Yeah?" Keon asked, jerking away from the spacing out.

"Are you good? You seemed to... really, really space out." Alexander said,

"I'm fine, just thought of something."

"Well, I'll leave you to think." Alexander said with a chuckle, eating his sandwich.

Then Keon's mind drifted, the voices became muffled.

~~~

"Another kill, another dead end." A guy with a tentacle arm said, a sigh escaping him as he wrapped the bandage around the wrist.

"Don't kid yourself. The boss said that we could find him at a school! You're just killing to kill." A cat woman said, rolling her eyes.

"Oh, c'mon! You know you enjoy this!" He laughed, she smirked.

"I can't deny that." She said, motioning to the body of the teen girl, picking up a wallet from her purse, "Her name is apparently Bianca Walls. What an average name." She scoffed.

"Just take the money, we might need it for the human world." He said,

"Why?"

"To buy things?" He said, "Duh."

"You guys buy things with green paper?" The cat woman wrinkled her nose in distaste.

"Yeah, what are you stupid?" He growled, the cat woman hissed.

"Watch your mouth, Soren. I could kill you with a TOUCH."

"Pain doesn't sound too bad." Soren teased,

"Ugh, I can't believe you like that." She said,

"Let's just get out of here before the school security try to find her and find us instead." Soren said, rolling his eyes, "Let's go find this boy."

~~~

The slam of a tray brought Keon's attention back to reality, he gasped with a harsh flinch.

"What the-?!" He looked up to see Caspian with that callous look.

"Sorry." He said, Alexander looked equally as shaken.

"You startled us!" Alexander said, trying to laugh it off.

Caspian sat down, "What are you thinking about?"

"Nothing. What brings you to Crestview Academy, Caspian?" Keon asked, looking away. What the heck was that? His imagination was never that active before.

"Me and my friend needed a new scenery."

"Your friend? What about family?" Alexander asked, Keon elbowed him and made him laugh.

"...Family?" Caspian asked, raising a brow as if confused by the word.

"Yeah. Brothers, sisters, mom, dad?" Alexander asked, sharing a look with Keon.

Caspian blinked, "My friend is... like family?" He said, deep in thought.

Keon blinked, was Caspian an orphan? Did he not know much about family because he never knew his? Or maybe he just didn't want to talk about it.

"Huh. Okay-."

"What about you two?" Caspian asked,

"Oh! I live with my mom and dad, they're really nice and work here!" Alexander said cheerfully.

"I live with my aunt and older sister. My sister is finishing up college and my aunt is retired." Keon said,

"What is your... sister... studying?" Caspian asked,

"Oh, she's going into culinary." Keon said, when Caspian looked confused, he continued, "A fancy word for cooking degree."

Caspian nodded, eyes drifting to the table.

Keon thought Caspian was a little odd, but wasn't everyone?

___

Keon was more than happy that school was over, he then spotted Caspian sitting on the edge of the sidewalk.

"Hey! Is your friend picking you up?" Keon asked as he approached the tall boy.

"Yeah." Caspian said, getting up from the sidewalk.

"What's their name?" Keon asked, maybe he knew them?

"Addison." He said,

"Oh, I thought I knew her." Keon said,

"She's coming to the school later in the week, she had to get through some paperwork." Caspian said,

"Got it. What type of paperwork?"

"You're very curious, huh?" Caspian asked,

"Yep." Keon joked, "I just want to know more about the new kid and the future new kid as you're saying."

"...IEP stuff." Caspian said, rocking on his heels.

"IEP?" Keon asked,

"Yeah, uh... My friend is visually impaired." Caspian said,

"Can she get here okay? I can take you to your house if you want so she doesn't have to come." Keon asked,

"..That might be a good idea actually." Caspian said, a worried look now crossing his face.

Keon and Caspian then made their way towards Caspian's house, he said it wasn't that far.

Halfway there, Keon spotted a girl with curly black hair. She seemed to notice them as she waved.

"Caspian! Who's this?" She asked,

"Addison, this is Keon." He said,

"Oh!" Addison seemed to give a curtsy and Keon laughed,

"No need for that, I'm not royalty!" Keon joked, but Addison seemed dead serious about it before she hastily rose to her feet.

"S-Sorry..." Addison said,

Keon saw the cloudy part in Addison's eyes, but he knew better than to ask, so he mostly stared at Caspian.

"Well, ready to go, Caspian?" She asked with a smile. He nodded, then patted Keon's shoulder.

"See ya, Keon, we'll see each other soon!" Caspian said, seeming much more open than his usual deadpan look.

Soon, Caspian and Addison left.

Keon got a text from his aunt, asking where he was, he told his aunt about Caspian and she was very understanding of it.

Auntie Meg:
I'm glad you helped a friend.

Keon chuckled, he guessed Caspian was a friend.