Prologue

Alyssa trembled in fear as her father's rage boiled over, sending chills down her spine. His eyes blazed with fury and his hand trembled as he raised it threateningly, ready to strike at any moment. "Stupid girl!" he bellowed, his voice echoing through the house, making the walls shake.

Alyssa cowered before him, her heart racing with terror. She had always been afraid of her father's violent temper, but today he seemed more out of control than ever before. Sweat beads trickled down her forehead, and her hands shook uncontrollably.

"Can't you do anything right?" he snarled, his face contorted with rage. He towered over her, his massive frame casting a shadow over her trembling form. Her father's voice was so loud that it felt like it would shatter her eardrums.

"I'm sorry, Sir," she whimpered, tears streaming down her face like a waterfall. She had tried her best to clean the kitchen, but it was an impossible task. Her father's standards were impossibly high, and no matter how hard she tried, she could never seem to please him.

Just then, her mother burst into the room, her emerald eyes flashing angrily. "What's wrong now?" she asked, her voice sharp and biting.

"I ordered her to have this kitchen spotless by the time I return! And look at this mess!" her father roared, his face red with fury. 

Alyssa's mother looked around the kitchen, taking in the scattered dishes and crumbs on the counter. "It's not that bad," she said calmly, trying to diffuse the situation. "She did her best."

But her father was not appeased. "She's useless!" he spat, his voice rising to a crescendo. "I can't stand to look at her."

Alyssa shrank back, feeling smaller and more helpless than ever before. She knew that she could never live up to her father's impossible expectations, no matter how hard she tried. As her parents continued to argue, she felt a deep sense of despair settle over her, wondering what would become of her if she could never please the people who were supposed to love her most.

"I don't want her in this house!" he roared, his voice echoing through the room. "She leaves tomorrow!"

The mother gasped, her eyes widening. "Lucas, no!" she pleaded, trying to reason with him.

"No, Georgianna! She has no use here!" he barked, his voice cold and calculating. "I might as well get some money from her!"

Not wanting to hear more, Alyssa started to sob uncontrollably, and she ran to the basement, leaping onto her bed and curling up. She cried to sleep, wondering what would become of her in the cold, cruel world.