Revelation

Gus POV (Past)
"Woohoo!" I cheered as 8-Bit and Max came over to Surge, Meg and I. "Great job, guys! I can't believe you won first place!"

"Yeah!" 8-Bit agreed, covered with sweat. "It's all thanks to Max."

Max blushed, dismissing, "I couldn't have done it without you!"

"Thanks," 8-Bit giggled as he gave Max a kiss.

"Let's go to the Stunt Show's restaurant to celebrate! It's quite near!" I suggested.

"That's not the only reason," Surge coughed.

I blushed and changed the subject, sparing myself from further humiliation.

So when we finally met Rico at the restaurant, we were surprised to see him all drenched and upset. He gave us an enthusiastic wave that didn't quite match his pained expression before he made a flimsy excuse about needing to go wash up.

I quickly followed suit, gasping when I heard sobs coming from the toilet. I pushed open the door and asked tentatively, "Ri-Rico?"

Rico looked up from the sink, saying, "Hey, Gus!"

I sighed and murmured, "What's wrong?"

"Nothing!" Rico said with a squeaky voice. But I stared firmly into his eyes, waiting until he collapsed and admitted, "Okay, so...when 8-Bit and Max has their first date, I had realised that I too, should confess to Piper and follow in their footsteps. The thing was...Piper said she didn't want a boyfriend, so I just let her be. But just now, I saw Piper and Byron kissing on a bench—and it just really hurts that she...she chose him over me, and she lied to me."

"Oh." That was all I could think to say. I mean, what could I say to that?

It took me several seconds before I decided to stick with, "It's going to be okay, Rico. It's going to be okay."