Break My Curse

Gus POV (Past)
Oh shoot, I thought. The voice belonged to someone I loved...though it wasn't easy to respond whenever she said anything.

But I forced myself to turn around and stammer out, "H-Hey, Bonnie! How's it going?"

Bonnie wasn't alone, with Fang towering over all of us. He was impossibly strong, fit and tall—probably why Janet liked him so much. But I focused on Bonnie, who looked a little red as she responded, "Ah, everything's fine! Just noticed you in the stands again today! You really like our shows, huh?"

I blushed like a tomato—the only reaction I could have had to be that visible?—as I agreed, "Um, yeah! I think all your stunts are super, super...cool."

Bonnie stayed silent for a while before she said, "Well...see you soon, then." She turned to walk away, Fang trailing behind, before I called out, "Wait!"

Crap! I scolded myself as Bonnie turned to smile at me. Why did I have to say that? I glanced at my friends for help, but they were all smiling and winking, so I guessed I was alone. After a long pause and hesitations, I murmured, "You wanna, like, meet up sometime? Like, maybe for a drink or something?"

Her face spread into a beautiful grin as she said, "Um, yeah, yeah. Of course! Here's my number, so call me sometime?" She offered a shy wave before she headed backstage.

"Gus, look!" Meg pointed up excitedly. "It's a sign!"

I tried to follow that direction, my eyes eventually resting on a golden sunbird that I knew way too well. "You're right!" I realised. "This is the first good thing that happened to me since I've seen that—she really is my saviour. And I'm going to fulfil my destiny this time."

Bonnie POV (Past)
"Hey, Fang, look at that bird!" I pointed into the sky, trying to show him that glittering jewel in the sky. Fang looked up, gasping when he saw it, snapping a picture.

"Hey, isn't that the bird that you saw...you know, on the day your parents passed away?" Fang asked.

"Yeah," I said softly. "I have no idea what it is. Sis named it Fears. But maybe she was wrong. Maybe it's my fate."