The Key

Gus POV (Past)
"Hey Rico, everything okay?" Max asked in concern.

Rico just nodded his head and dismissed, "Yeah, I'm fine. Hey guys, sorry I missed the race. Great job on the victory! Especially you, 8-Bit!"

Gus POV (Present)
"And so the celebration went on, for an hour. It seems so bright happy now, but back then I couldn't feel anything. Well, that was before you fixed my problems," I explained. The girl sitting beside me just nodded, "Yeah, looks like I was the remedy to your curse, wasn't it?"

"Indeed you were," I agreed, "And I knew it from the day I met you, Bonnie."

"But go on," Bonnie prompted, "I want to know more. So, what happened after that?"

Gus POV (Past)
The Stunt Show had just finished when a voice piped up. "Hey Gus, you really like her, huh?" Meg asked from beside me. I flinched, before I realised Meg was talking about Bonnie. I said dreamily, "Yeah, she's the only one who can make me feel this way. I feel like she might be the key."

"The key to what?" Max, Surge and Meg all asked unanimously.

"Oh, that's right, you don't know!" I realised. "I've never told you the story, have I? Well, it's...complicated."

It was a few years ago, when I was still a young child, living all alone at the Ghost Train Station. My parents had died a few years ago in a blaze of flames, which burned down the house and all of my possessions except for my balloon, Spooky. Left an orphan, I was stuck roaming the street searching for food and shelter. And then...one day, I found an abandoned train station, where there was nobody and I could live in peace. But one day I heard multiple noises, so I hid on the track in fear, and just when I thought things couldn't get any worse, they did. There was a loud blare coming from behind me, and before I could react, a train slammed into my back, sending me sprawled across the ground. Luckily, it didn't run over me, but the next thing I remembered was waking up in a hospital. Beside me were two faces I didn't recognise, namely my old friends Chuck and Buster. From there I learned that Chuck had accidentally hit me, and Buster was the one who saved me. Ever since then, they've been like fathers to me. And the day I finally got out of the ward, and back to normal, I saw this shining golden sunbird circling high, high above. The same bird appeared on the day that my parents passed, so I named it "Curse". It seems like it is a curse—because of that, since that fateful day, I lost my spirit. My soul. My feelings. My heart.

"So, since then, nothing has made me feel different, and I'm always devoid of emotions. Except for Bonnie. Whenever I see her...it's just like, the tiniest spark ignited in my heart. I feel like...she's the one who can break my curse forever, and stay with me for eternity," I finished.

But little did I expect Max to gasp, "I've seen that sunbird before! It was there when my parents died, when I first met Meg and Surge, on the day of my first date with 8-Bit, and today, just when my dad reunited with me!"

"Yeah!" 8-Bit confirmed, "We named it Faith. Because the golden sunbird represents hope, futures and—"

"Gus?" A familiar voice cut him off.