Pieces and Pieces

Rico POV (Past)
"Gus?" I looked up. And it was him. But he wasn't alone.

"Oh, hi, 8-Bit!" I said nervously, wiping my eyes dry. "How's it going, bro?"

8-Bit sighed, "We need to have a talk, Rico. I know there's something wrong, and that there's something you're not telling us."

"What?" I said innocently. "No, nothing's wrong! Just ask Gus!"

Gus argued, "Rico, I think it's time you tell him. He's our best friend, after all. You can trust him."

"Yeah, I swear I won't say anything unless you want me to," 8-Bit crossed his fingers. "Pinky promise."

Maybe Gus was right. It was time to stop running from the truth, and live in oblivion. So I told 8-Bit everything, in heartbreaking detail. And by the end, my tears were flowing like a river, unable to hold themselves back anymore.

Gus POV (Present)
"Wow, really? That happened?" Bonnie gasped. "Rico never talked about the second time, only the first one when he told us."

"Well...yeah," I told her. "But it helped him learn."

"So? What happened next?" Bonnie asked curiously.

Gus POV (Past)
"I'm sorry, Rico," 8-Bit whispered as he hugged Rico. "I should've known sooner. That was why you left early, wasn't it?"

Rico nodded, murmuring, "Thanks for coming to find me."

8-Bit nudged me, admitting, "It was Gus' idea. I didn't realise you were so upset. Why didn't you tell us earlier?"

"Well...it's just, the pain is already too much to bear, and I don't want to cause more drama that could interrupt your relationships. But it'll be okay, I'll find someone else. Just...not...Piper...I guess." Rico faltered, turning his head to face her shop again.

"No, Rico!" 8-Bit grabbed Rico's hand, drawing his attention back to him. "You can't keep living like this. If Piper chose Byron, there's nothing else you can do. Don't ruin your life for something that very well may not happen. Stay positive, because if Piper wasn't the one, someone else will come for you. As fast as she can. And if Piper is...she'll come for you someday."

I told Rico, "Rico, just think of a vase. If you smash it once, you can still see the pieces fit back again quite easily. But if you smash it again? And again?"

Rico lowered his head, knowing I was right. I seized the chance to finish softly, "Don't let your heart be like that vase, Rico. Don't let it break into pieces just for someone who isn't there, and don't let it break your love. Don't let it break you."