twenty four

A/N So I've spontaneously decided to change Delilah's inspiration. Idk just felt right to me.

Delilah's POVPure Gym Crayford

Delilah's POV
Pure Gym Crayford

There is no public place more hellish and disarrayed than a high street Pure Gym in the middle of the day. Primark is a close contender, but doesn't stop Pure Gym from taking all the cake. Protein head guys hogging weights, women (me included) scared to confront them a turn, so instead of getting their squats in, resort to the far wall stairmasters until a spot frees up.

Either that or the row of treadmills smack in the middle of the floor, half out of use half occupied by the so obvious first time backs. And I never really cared for the leg curl machine, just whatever worked for glutes. Over the weeks I myself have been back, I knew better than to sign in during lunchtime. But today when Dad brought out the old Dyson and got in the shed with all the mice, it was only a matter of time until he'd drag me down to help.

"Am I speaking with...Delilah?"

"Hello, yeah speaking."

"Hi Delilah, it's Kirsty from Administration at East Village Dental?"

"Oh hi." I manage through the phone as my stomach drops. Immediately I go to engage my AirPods. The job hunt is inevitably humiliating, cause it's not the all day I had in the house for them to ring me back, except they wait till I'm on the stairmaster and far out of breath, halfway through my 15 minutes.

"Hi! Um just ringing about your application for reception...four on four off, I'm seeing here?"

"Yeah Tuesdays through Fridays." I hit the stairmaster emergency stop and mute real briefly to catch my breath hoping Kirsty had better rang for good news.

"Okay so I am informing that you've been unsuccessful on this occasion, but can we hold on to your CV?"

"....sure okay."

"Lovely, we do tend to have a lot more part time available over the summer, so do check back in with us then."

"Yeah no worries that's fine." I double tap my AirPods and my playlist resumes. I grab the rails and simply try to power through the rest of my 15, which I do for the most part. Coming up to the last 30 seconds, I decide impulsively to double my speed. Furious, having went all the way to West End for that stupid interview which in my opinion went well. That is, despite lying through my teeth that I randomly got laid off. Despite Dad insisting 19 is way too young to be halfway figured out, unemployment is an icky and strange feeling.

I should've known doubling the step speed was getting very much ahead of myself. Cause my feet vanish swiftly from under me and now I'm holding on to the hand rail for my literal life. I tug the thread to emergency stop, ignoring the one hundred eyes in my back. Taking one look at my bleeding knee where the bottom step scuffed me, I figure to just call it a day. So I take my phone and protein shaker and tread nimbly past the hench heads in the weight section and off the gym floor.