13-Evasive Truth

My phone vibrated on the bed next to me.

I glanced at it, but made no move to pick it up.

I was wrapped in a thick white blanket, holding the fabric close and tight around my body. My hair was still dripping wet, not quite dry yet. My knees were drawn up to my chest, every bit of my skin covered by the thick white fabric.

It was dad on the phone. He had been knocking at my door ever since he returned, but I had been too terrified to say anything in response.

I was so scared that I feared I would crumble to pieces if I moved an inch from my current position.

"Rachel.I'm coming in," dad finally said.

Right! He had a spare key!

" Wait!" I spoke for the first time ever since my conversation with Ms Janet.

There was a pause at the door. I heard a deep sigh.

"Rachel, please open the door," he pleaded.

I pulled the blanket closer, tears escaping my eyes. I was scared. I couldn't get up...

The phone rang again. This time, I took a deep breath and reached out of the blanket with my left arm. Goosebumps traveled all the way across my skin and I shivered, willing myself to stop shaking as I answered the call.

Dad must not have been expecting me to answer, because he said nothing for the first few seconds.

"Rachel?" he said tentatively.

"D-Dad," I replied, my voice trembling.

"Baby, what's wrong? Open the door and we'll talk," he told me, worry lacing his voice.

I drew my knees closer to myself, my body trembling.

I shut my eyes, trying to quieten my tears, but it was impossible.

"Rachel, are you hurt?" he asked.

I sniffed. Was I hurt? I wasn't even sure what that word meant anymore.

"Rachel, please open the door," he repeated.

"I can't," I replied, tears coming in more volume. "Dad, I..." my voice reduced to a whisper. "I'm scared."

Dad paused. Had he heard me?

"Baby. You don't have to be scared. I'm here," he assured me. I squeezed the blanket tighter. " Do you want me to come in?" I shut my eyes. "Rachel..."

"Give me a minute," I answered. "Please."

And I ended the call.

Adopting Ms Sarah's calming technique, I managed to stop my breath from quivering so much. Getting out of the bed was another issue entirely. I almost gave up as I pushed out with my knees. My muscles protested at being moved from their static position.

I winced, willing myself to swing my feet off the bed. I couldn't let dad come in and see me like this.

Hands still trembling, I pulled a hoodie over my head and a pair of shorts. Then I walked over to the door and unlocked it. It was an effort to keep from falling as my knees were wobbling dangerously.

Dad grabbed me in his arms as soon as the door opened.

"Rachel," he let out a sigh of relief. "Don't ever scare me like that a...Whoa whoa..."he held me just as my knees gave way, lifting me into his arms.

I held on to him like I would crumble if I let go.

"Baby. What's going on?" he asked as he laid me in the bed. "Why is your hair wet? What happened?"