A Serpent and His Rose [We Did Everything We Could]

“Now honey, just relax. And we will be back before your showcase, don’t worry.” Your mother said, hugging you. Your parent’s were going to a business brunch with your father’s department at work that morning.

“Alright mother.” You said, trying not to sound as stressed out as you were. Your mother knew how you got right before a performance. And this performance in particular was the difference between you dancing professionally or joining the ranks at the Ministry of Magic, so you were definitely feeling the pressure. You waved at your father, the first to Floo away. 

“Andrea, seriously. Try and relax.” She said, squeezing your hand. You nodded and she stepped into the fireplace and disappeared. The smiled instantly dropped from your face and you lugged yourself upstairs to your room. You had a rehearsal with Jason that afternoon before the show, so you needed to get ready. You flopped onto your bed, feeling emotionally and physically drained. Needing some comfort, you pulled out the black and white photo box you hid under your bed. Taking off the lid, you smiled and picked up the stack of folded up parchment. You opened up the latest of the letters from Draco. This one came two days ago.

Andrea,

I’m sorry I haven’t been able to write. Vlad is getting suspicious about how often Felicia is sending out letters to her family. The wedding planning excuse is starting to wear thin. I’m missing you more and more each day, and I’m driving myself crazy trying to find out a way out of this mess. But I want you to know that I will, Andy. I promise you that I will. I can’t stop replaying the night we spent together at your house, and how I wish we could have that every night. But I take comfort in knowing that one day we will be together, and I will be ridiculously happy with you for the rest of my life.

I know your showcase was moved up. I promised I would be there and I will. Unfortunately, I do have some business to attend to with my family that day. But I wouldn’t miss it for the world, just know that. I will be watching you, and I know that it will be beautiful and you will get offers from every company in attendance. Until then, just know that I love you and I always will.

Love,

Draco

You folded up the letter and sighed. In each letter that Draco sent, he promised you so much. You wanted so desperately to believe him but something in the back of your mind held you back. You didn’t want to get your hopes up, you supposed. You slid the photo box back under your bed and went to your closet. You pulled out your showcase outfit and slipped it on. It fit perfectly, thank goodness. You took it to be tailored three times already. The red fabric against your skin tone was mesmerizing, and you imagined yourself in full makeup in front of your full length mirror. 

“Hot!” Jason said. You jumped as he appeared in your doorway. He was also decked out in his showcase outfit. He had gray pants on, suspenders that hung down instead of over his shoulders, and a white button down that had the top two buttons undone and the sleeves rolled up. His shoes were already shined and he flipped his hat up onto his head.

“Very dashing, sir.” You said.

“Good, now that the outfits are finalized, what say we run through it a few times?”

“Lead the way!” You followed him out to the studio, trying to keep calm. You thought of Draco’s letters, and you smiled on the inside.

*              *              *              *