Chapter 7 - Autumn

I walked into the dark forest. The calmness surrounded me like a soft blanket. Only the sounds of singing crickets interrupted my thoughts. Dry grass crunched under my boots as I walked.

Had Marcus seen through her? Or was he just flirting because he can? Because underneath this facade, I thought he was quite attractive to be completely honest. He was tall, lean, muscular, and those eyes that would portray so many emotions.

He had never flirted with me before, but I had seen him in action. He flirted his way in and out of many rough situations, and there was no denying he was good at it.

I was probably overthinking this. It was just a simple comment, meant only to anger Otoño. That's what I can tell myself so I don't get my hopes up.

The gentle sound of flowing water dragged me out of my thoughts, I jogged toward the noise and found a small creek weaving in and out of trees.

I knelt down beside it and cupped my hands under the water. I brought up some of the fresh water to my mouth and sipped it. It felt wonderful on my dry throat.

Footsteps drew my attention away from the stream. Who could it be? I stepped behind a thick tree and pulled my knife out of my pocket.

"Autumn, you can come out from behind that tree, I won't hurt you. I promise," a dark voice called from the darkness.

I stepped out from where I was hiding and saw Marcus standing next to the lantern on the ground. He looked relaxed, and a sly smile spread across his face. I slid my knife back into my pocket.

"You broke the last promise you made, so I dont know how much I can trust you," I said, stepping closer to him. What was he doing?

"That's why I am here, because you said I had to do something if I broke my promise," he said smoothly. Oh, right. I thought back to earlier that evening, when we were still sitting on the stiff backs of our horses. I remember admiring Marcus from my view point behind Ravena. I almost regret saying that, now Marcus probably knew how I felt towards him. He will hold that over my head for the rest of my life.

The taller, raven haired boy stepped closer, making the distance between us only a few steps.

"Marcus, it was just a joke. There is no need to-"

"Oh, but I was to do this," he said as he closed the distance between us. He placed his hand on the back of my neck and pulled me closer to him. My heart was beating faster by the second. I am sure he could feel it, but if he did, he didn't show it.

I looked up at him and closed my eyes. He brought his lips to mine, gently pressing a kiss on my lips. He stayed like that for a few moments before pulling his face away. He still had his hand on the back of my neck, tangled with a little bit of my hair. His other hand found its way to my waist.

He looked down into my eyes, his green eyes shining in the candlelight. He was even better only half-illuminated in the candlelight.

"Is it bad that I want to do that again?" Marcus asked, his voice barely above a whisper. I shook my head slowly without breaking eye contact. I didn't trust my voice right now, while I was tangled up in Marcus's arms.

He leaned down again and I met him half way, our lips pressing together. A pit feeling started to grow in my stomach. What was I doing? I know I wanted this, but it didn't stop my thoughts from going back to my twin. He hated Marcus, how could I do this to him?

I pulled my lips away from him, and pushed him off of me. I could see the hurt on his face. Probably fake. I sat down next to the creek. I could hear Marcus sit down to my left. He put his hand around my waist and tried to pull me closer to him. I place my hand on the ground, steadying myself and stopping Marcus from moving me. He gently grabbed my face and turned me to look at him. I could see the confusion in his eyes.

"I thoughtt you wanted to kiss me, isn't that why you said that?" he asked. His voice was laced with hurt.

"I do, but it's wrong," I said. His hand fell from my face and returned to his side.

"Why is it wrong?" He asked, sounding like he was genuinely confused. Marcus was never the smart one, it was always Otoño. Another pang of guilt hit me.

"Well, we are rivals," I said, my voice higher pitched than it needed to be.

"But we don't have to be," Marcus said as he leads in closer to me.

"But Otoño hates you!" I say, my twin was the reason I felt guilty. I never want him to be mad at me.

"Do you let him dictate every aspect of your life?" He shoots back. I guess he has a good point, but he is right. I have a close bond with Otoño, and I never want to mess it up. He is my best friend, my ally, my brother.

I stay quiet for a few moments. The silence is heavy, like a horse laying on our shoulders.

"I am heading back to camp" I say. As I stand up and walk away, I can see Marcus's disappointed look. He really thought he could convince me to kiss him again.