10. Brutal Betrayal

Monica's POV :

"You can do it Mou, just be calm. You got this, girl! "

"She's into you. Isn't it pretty obvious already"

"Look at her straight in the eye, when you're speaking okay? Be the dominant one sweetheart, she seems to particularly like when you have the upper hand" Sienna suggested with a wink, as she patted on my back, encouraging me.

"It's not how you guys are portraying it okay? It's just a meeting for a project" I protested, in vain, trying to untangle the strings of their already twisted, crazy minds.

God, what friends are they? I thought as I internally sighed at all my previously failed attempt to shoo them away.

I so regret informing them about my conversation with Emily today. First, because they started squealing and screeching like banshees, in sheer excitement, absolutely ignoring the quizzical stares and glances that we received (obviously, they were the connoisseur of craziness). And secondly because Sienna was literally about to go upto to Emily and 'congratulate' her for stealing my heart?! It took all my power to make her sit back down. Ughh

I was literally on the brink of having myself doomed today, if not for Anastasia who assisted me in bringing our two lovebirds, Sienna and Angelina, to hold their horses down.

Let's take it from the top. I told my gang about my 'scandalous interaction'—as Angelina likes to put it—with Emily, to which they squealed. I helplessly succeeded in calming them down. Bubbling with excitement and anticipation they asked me 'what's next?' and I, being my stupid self, excitedly said 'the project' which received disapproving groans, to my utmost despair. That's how it all began. The Mission of a lifetime.

The Mission in which my loving, kind-hearted comrades were determined to make me realize that Emily Rhodes was actually implying that her and I have a 'date'. I, as obvious as it should be, went livid. How could my friends even come up with such a grotesque thought, I wondered.

I have been trying so hard to make them change their minds and put an end to all those absurd date ideas they have been popping up with but they don't want to hear me out at all. Sienna and Angelina are convinced that it's only a matter of time until Emily Rhodes calls it official. And Anastasia, well, she is happy for me and suggested whether we should all call off the hostility between our groups and have a fresh start.

Now I am here, trudging through the hallways to my AI laboratory with my friends apparently 'having my back' and giving me their invaluable last minute pep talk before my so called date. All my attempts at convincing them that it is not a date seemed worthless, so I simply stopped trying and mindlessly complied to their oh-so-important-instructions.

"REMEMBER EVERY DETAIL MOU! WE WANT TO HEAR IT ALL! " Anastasia whisper-yelled, a cheeky smile playing at her lips as we all neared the door to my destination—my most awaited fate rather.

"You can do it Mou. You go girl! "

With that last piece of valuable encouragement, I finally bid my friends goodbye and practically had to shove them away, so that they could leave.

After they departed and their giggles faded down that hallway, on the opposite side, I sighed. Now was the time. As much as I tried to cover up my friends' teasing with a facade of utmost protest and disapproval, deep down I couldn't shake off the fact that Emily and I will be in a room, working in close proximity about a project, which, might I add, she suggested. I was undoubtedly nervous. I didn't know why, I just did.

Things were finally starting to look up for the both of us and I didn't want my stupidity to ruin it anyway. After all, when we're working on a project together, it's only appropriate that we have a mutual understanding. And when, we have both shown, tiny improvements in achieving this understanding, I didn't want to stop.  It's good isn't it? Atleast that's what I thought.

As I reached for the door knob thinking of the probable ways of striking up a conversation with her, I heard something. Another voice, inside the lab. It was totally fine though. Emily must have been talking to one of her friends before our meeting. I don't mind at all.

I was about to turn the door knob and push the door open, when what I heard, made me stand still on my tracks.

"These are all their project files. Three of them, are her friends' and this yellow one is her AI idea. I couldn't grab her project but this one might do the job Em. Think about it. "

'Their' project files? 'Her' friends? Yellow one? AI—
My head started spinning as I suddenly felt nauseous. My heart dropped to my stomach. I couldn't believe what I was hearing. I desperately prayed to God so that it was not what I was thinking it was. I couldn't be. They were cruel, but they possibly wouldn't stoop so low to do such a thing. Emily wouldn't. She prized honesty and fair play more than anything else. Atleast that's what I believed she did.

I was pulled out of my thoughts as the other voice which was undoubtedly Meredith Brooks' spoke again.

"We will win Em. Your—"

That's it I thought. I couldn't simply stand here doing nothing. I had to know what was going on inside. I had to see it for myself before jumping to conclusions. Shoving those thoughts at the back of my mind, I pushed open the door, interrupting Meredith.

And there it was bright and clear in front of my eyes—The truth. I could see it crystal clear. Four project files which I obviously recognized as mine and my friends' in Emily's hand. My sunshine yellow AI file, right at the top. I gulped, my mind entangling in numerous thoughts, as my mouth became dry. I suddenly couldn't speak, as if I had lost all control over my body. I stared ahead, motionless—at Emily Rhodes, the person whom I thought would be my next friend.

It was a fuzzy feeling. To be betrayed this way. Emily and Meredith both stared back at me, clearly not expecting my slightly early arrival which apparently ruined this full proof conspiracy. I started shaking slightly, regaining my composure. The rage building up in my body as I felt my blood boiling, hate and disgust coursing through my veins. I stared hard and emotionless, at Emily, and saw her gulp, a slight feeling of dread flashed across her eyes. She was scared. And I knew it.

I clenched my fists, nails digging into my palms as I gritted my teeth.

"You will regret it. " That's all I said. It was low but it was enough to deliver all the emotions that I felt at that moment. There was no response. Neither did I wait for one, as I turned on my heel and rushed out of the lab. With quick long strides I headed towards the Principal's Office.

I felt a tear trickle down my cheek, followed by one more, until they turned into and incessant waterfall. I let out a sob. I couldn't hold it anymore. This was not what I expected. It wasn't was I had wanted. I felt broken, stabbed right in the heart.

I couldn't continue on my way to the Principal's Office. My legs gave up and I broke down in the empty, deserted hallways, vision blurry with hot, angry tears. Dropping to the floor and bringing my knees close to my chest, I whimpered.

I desperately needed someone to hold me now. Someone to hear me out and lend me a shoulder, tell me 'it's alright'— Alas, there was none. All my friends had already left and I was all alone. I had never been hurt this bad in the entirety of my life. It was torturous— being stabbed in the back by the one you trust. I felt vulnerable and pathetic.

Paralyzed, Defenseless, Incapable, Wea—

"It's not what you think it is" came a voice, which I could recognize from anywhere— A voice I now hated. It was low and laced with tinge of hurt, but I didn't care.

"Fuck off"

»»——⍟——««