12. Peaceful Placation

Monica's POV:

"Sir! Oh my-Pro-it-sorry" I managed out, panting, after that enervating sprint from the courtyard to the Headmaster's office. I was in such a hurry, that I didn't even bother to knock and seek permission before entering the office and, well-quite brutally, slamming the door behind, in the process. The Headmaster was pulled out of his meeting in the laptop, by my uncalled disturbances- rather, presence to be exact. He uttered a curt apology to the person on the other side of the screen before shutting the laptop's lid.

I gulped, seemingly embarrassed at my Indignantly callous and careless actions, and let out one of my atrocious, about-to-be-doomed giggles.

"Hehe, sorry Headmaster, I-I should wait until it's convenient, hehe" I stammered, which was concluded by another of those 'giggles'. This was it, I mused. I tightly shut my eyes waiting for the seemingly incoming storm of earfuls, progressing my way.

Except, there was none.

None but only a disillusioned sign, which I barely caught on and realized was probably a result of my 'recklessness'.

"Miss Williams, please have a seat. However, next time, I do suggest, you knock before barging in. I was in a meeting with one of the board members, but it seems you have something far more important discuss. What brings you here" The Headmaster said, way too formally as he tried hide the obvious dislike for my actions.

I nodded and briskly made my way to the chair in front of the Headmaster, pulling it out and settling myself down there. I adjusted in my seat, maintaining a presentable posture before rambling again. "Sir, I deeply apologize for barging in like that. Just a few moments ago, I was informed that my AI project script has been handed over to you without my notice. Sir, I believe this a mere misunderstanding as, err, Emily did not know that my project file was only a draft. I should have been more careful as well. Please forgive me, I'll present the completed model within the due date." I completed sighing- soaking in the temporary relief of releasing the breath I had been holding up so long-as I sat up straight once again. Looking back at the rather funny gaze the Headmaster was giving me, I furrowed my eyebrows in bewilderment.

"Miss Williams this is why you barged in disrupting my meeting-okay, alright I would have informed you by tomorrow but since you're completely in the dark, I'll do the honours today"-the Headmaster paused before giving me one of his legendary, jolly expression before continuing-" This morning Miss Rhodes brought your project to me suggesting that I look through it, and that it was an exceptional thought for the competition. Like you, even I was surprised at her hastiness, but still gave it a read through along with Mrs. Lopez. Truth be told, Monica, your extensive research was indeed phenomenal. It was really an innovative way of using AI in daily healthcare. This model would be a sure shot win at the competition. Congratulations, you have been chosen." The Headmaster beamed with his warm fatherly smile, evidently much more ecstatic than me at this news.

I couldn't believe my ears. I did it. I had made it to the competition. Oh my god. This was real. Should I ask the Headmaster to pinch me. No that would be stupid, wouldn't it?

"Oh-my Thank you sir. I-oh god. I can't believe it, thank you. I never thought I would qualify. I'll get on with my model from today itself. Sir, this means so much to me. I've always seen our seniors participating in this event and it had always been my dream to be able to compete in one of those. And now that it's finally happening it feels so surreal. Thank you for even choosing me Sir. I'm grateful. " I poured my heart out as my eyes turned glossy with happy tears threatening to roll down. I managed to sober up, still giddy with excitement.

"Oh, don't mention in Miss Williams. You deserve this. We expect great things from you. Now run along and allow me to get back to my meeting" The Headmaster joked as I chuckled at.

"Of course Sir. I stood up and headed out of the office before struck by lightning. I mean, struck by the most decisive question- What about Emily then? What about her project?

I stopped in my tracks before turning around in one swift motion, facing the Headmaster once again as I stated, " Sir, then what about Emily's Project? You never mentioned hers. She worked really hard at it. "

"Oh, I assumed she had already informed you, Monica. Emily pulled out of the competition. Didn't state any palpable reason, just said she needed to focus more on school work."

"Oh ok-She WHAT? Uhh, thanks for conveying,Sir, hehe. I better leave now. Err, class is about to start, yes."

That was all, before I rushed out of the office, slamming the door behind me, yet once again. Emily Rhodes. I needed to find her right now. She owes me a fucking explanation for heaven's sake. Why would she pull out so suddenly? Is this her way of pitying me? Well, if it was, she better count her seconds cause her death was in my hands. Wasn't that misunderstanding not enough to break my mental stability, that she had to barge in and practically prove that maybe I am not as capable. God I cannot let my thoughts run wild again. There must be more to it. She was confusing me. Where are you Emily-

"EMILY RHODES COME HERE THIS INSTANT!"

I shouted across the corridor to the walking Emily, spotting her, thus ignoring the quizzical glances that were being shot my way, by the other students. Emily had her back facing me as she flinched for a moment, startled at unneeded call, before turning my way and shooting glares at the students who were intently waiting for our interactions. As the students, cowering under her glare, deserted the corridor, her eyes landed on mine. I strutted upto her with long quick strides and demanded.

"Why the fuck would you do that, huh? "

"Do what? " she questioned, puzzled.

"Oh, don't you dare play dumb! The Headmaster's already informed me. Is this your way of telling me that I qualified only because of you pity." I questioned again, practically shouting at this point.

"Wha-No. Ughh. You always twist things. Look, that misunderstanding and all, it really affected me as much as it did you. I wanted to make up for it and this seemed to be the best way to do so. Alright? It's not how you put it" Emily explained, exasperated at my allegations but still composed enough to not cause a scene.

"Is that so? " I asked softly, taken aback by her confession and well, thoughtfulness.

"Of course. " Emily stressed.

"Alright then. Err, thank you, I guess. I trust you, now. " I stated embarrassed at lashing out at her.

"Flattered" Emily said rolling her eyes, disinterested.

Next, I don't know what had gotten into me, I don't know what happened, but I decided to close the distance between us, snaking my hands around her neck- hugging her, subtly. As she stood frozen, dumbstruck at my despicable actions. I pulled away almost immediately, as if electrocuted, and took a step back, embarrassed, yet again and fixating my eyes anywhere, but at her.

Muttering an incomprehensible, awkward sorry, I waited for a response but received none. Was this too much? Did I make her uneasy? I diffidently looked up to meet her eyes, only to find them staring right back at me.

"Uhh,err, will you be willing to discuss our group project today, over a cup of coffee? There's this really chic café a few blocks away. And I really don't want to stay back after school hours, so... " I suggested, as I cleared my throat, trying to wade through the tension.

"Sure. It's alright with me"

"Lovely. Then, I guess I'll meet you at the gateway after last class?" I questioned, hopeful.

"Certainly"

"Okay"

"Okay"

»»--⍟--««