Chapter 8

Persephone tried to settle into a routine in New Orleans. She woke up every morning and completed her classes. Then she had lessons with Josephine. What bothered Persephone was the abundance of adults that tried to make their presence known in her life. It all started when she met a black male witch named Vincent. He was coming into Josephine's as she was leaving. She was waiting outside for Nik's car to pick her up. He came and sat next to her.  Persephone didn't mind him at first. He had good energy.

"You must be Miss Bennett." he said to her. 

"For a large city, this place is so small town." He chuckled at her.

"I'm Vincent Griffith. I am one of Josephine's apprentices."

"I'm assuming magic not violin."

"Yes. Do you have someone who teaches you magic?" he asked and she squinted her eyes at him.

"Kind of. Mostly self taught. Me and my older sister Bonnie are. Though she hasn't used magic in months. I don't think she likes it that much. I love magic." He smiled at her.

"I do too." Persephone was confused.

"But I thought there was no magic in the quarter?"

"No spells technically. But we have our faith and we're witches. We're always magic even if we're not using it."

"I wish you could all do magic." she said softly. She knew they were bad for what they did but they didn't seem like bad people. They didn't seem like the Salvatores. Nik's car pulled up.

"Yeah. Me too. You should stay safe, Miss Bennett."

"You can call me Persephone. You're kind but smart. I like that."

"Thank you. But I am serious about staying safe."

That's when she rolled her eyes. "I get it. People think I shouldn't be around Nik. But I'm more like him than you." She flashed her eyes gold.

"How?" Vincent didn't seem like he judged her. More so he was amazed by her. She shrugged.

"You know as much as me. I'm impossible. Like him. And I'm a killer. Just like him. You do know you have to kill to trigger the change."

"I do. But I'm sure you're not a cold blooded killer." She scoffed.

"How are you sure?" she asked, knowing the car would wait for her.

"Well I do have a doctorate in psychology but also I can feel it. I see your light, Persephone. I'm sure you spend half your time in darkness, just like your namesake. But some bad decisions don't make you a bad person. You just have to do better. And my last note would be that hanging around a thousand year old hybrid who doesn't want to do better might be against that." Persephone knew there was nothing she could say. Most people didn't know the truth of Nik. Who he truly was. But she did.

    Persephone returned home to see Rebekah and Klaus in the living room with Haley. "Any closer to getting Elijah back?" she asked them.

"Yes actually. And speaking of, we actually have a party to get ready for."

"Can I come?" she asked Rebekah.

"Vampire only, love."

"You guys suck," she said to them both then went upstairs.

    She came down a couple hours later to make herself some dinner. She made some extra for Haley. She knew Haley hated her but she couldn't change that. The pregnant werewolf wandered down. "I thought maybe someone had ordered something," Haley said as she approached the kitchen tentatively.