nine

she forgot what it was like to be out in liverpool at night. however she was still familiar with the best spots to make sure that joao had the full liverpool tour.

"ok i think that is everything," squealed lorelai clapping her hands together and turning round the face the portuguese boy. "this has actually been really fun."

he let out a small laugh. "i'm glad. i feel like a scouser now."

"don't let your teammates hear that. especially ben. he would go hysteric."

"dont worry this night is a secret. i'll just pretend i went on a tour of the city." shrugged joao. "just glad that you didn't stay in the club bored."

lorelai smiled and turned around to the road looking for a taxi to get home.  she looked up to see a billboard and as much as she hated to admit it she saw trent. his partnership with adidas was plastered across the board, his familiar smile lighting up the dark night sky that shrouded liverpool.

she let out a small shaky breath before turning back around to face joao. she gave him a small smile.

"i should probably go home. i've got the preston game to present on tomorrow before the big match."

"are you ok?" said joao giving a quizzical look to the girl. he could see the trent billboard infront of him but he was struggling to put two and two together.

"yeah i'm fine. you won't be after we batter you tomorrow." shrugged lorelai giving the boy a small tap on the shoulder.

he let out a laugh shaking his head slightly. "i'll hold you to that."

"good. when you lose don't come crying to me."

"i wouldn't dare. are you sure you're ok to go home by yourself? i can come with you if you want."

"no i'll be fine. it's like 10 mins away from here."

"ok. i'll hopefully see you tomorrow."

joao opened his arms and lorelai stepped forwards into his embrace. she had felt it tonight especially that what she had with joao was purely a friendship and nothing else. she felt awful for having to friend zone him however she was praying he felt the same way.

she stepped away quickly, the hug lasting for a few seconds.

"look joao i just wanted to say that i think we're good together as friends. i enjoyed tonight but i don't want to lead you on."

joao let out a small laugh. "dont worry lorelai i know. between me and you anyways i'll be going back to spain after the season is over."

"oh ok. i'll have to come and see you in spain then."

"it was nice to see you lorelai."

"bye joao."

"curtis what do you want," she grumbled down the phone as she scrambling to get all her belongings before leaving the house. "i'm already late to get to preston as it is."