So much for a Warm Welcome

"What the heck. Who is that guy" I turned to Kaylee. "Who. Is. He." I spit out the words. It was lunch when I saw Kyle talking to Ryan. It wasn't possible they were just being friendly. Ryan was better than that. Or so he, and the rest of the school, thought.

Kaylee leaned in. "Well, he's new, but I don't know his story. He's just seventeen and new in the middle of the year. Both odd. Do you think he really got his powers at thirteen? That's awful. You think I should check his head? I wonder what he's like."

"No! Are you crazy, he could tell Ryan!" The worst part about Kaylees powers was that people knew she was prying into their heads. Kaylee just nodded and stopped smiling, talking about Ryan always ruined the mood.

"I heard he can really use those powers." Katie said, stirring her foaming drink until it boiled. " He has energy control,"

If Katie knew, it was a fact. Katie knew everything and anything about the school. She knew everything that went on in the office before anyone else. It was odd since fire powers didn't give her an advantage in finding it out, but no one crossed Katie, so no one seemed to mind that she always knew. Of course, if Principal Drake knew, or most of the teachers, that would be an entirely different story.

"He blew up part of the training facility, like a lot of it. Rumor is he's a level seven." Katie took a sip of foam while wiping her finger on her pants.

Every year, they judged the entire student body on power and skill level. Power level was how strong your power was: Skill level was how well you use those powers. Seven was the highest level. A large part of the top floor and a massive area outside are exclusively for training and preparing for the Overall Power and Skill test, known as OPS.

"Maybe he's just from the English school, that's the most likely explanation," I said even though I knew that there was no way Katie was wrong. But I didn't care what else they said. All I needed to know was that Ryan wanted him because he was powerful. Kyle was just another mindless crony, not someone I needed to worry about.

I was headed to my locker when I saw Ryan. I spun around and tried to go back the way I had come. I knew I was too late when I saw the energy glowing in front of me. A thin barrier of gold, deadly to the touch. I turned to see Ryan smiling and Evan lowered the wall. I was seriously tempted to turn and run, even though it would probably mean being thrown against a wall by that glowing barrier.

"Hey Babe," Ryan said as he walked toward me, grinning like a wolf.

"Ryan, stop. Please," I said, trying to stand tall. I put my hand behind me, just inches from the wall of energy.

This time it was Evans' turn to laugh, "You really think any of us are worried about you using your powers? Nice bluff," Ryan stepped forward again and I did it.

In an instant the wall was sucked into my hand and I shot it out between me and the boys. I heard one of them shout and crash to the floor as they rushed the wall. I looked at my hands and started to back away. I turned and ran, terrified of what I had just done. It was defense, I didn't have time to think, I would never do it by choice. My thoughts raced. I hardly used my powers and that had been a terrible time to start.

I walked into English forcing myself to slow down and act normal, my heart was hammering and I was begging the loudspeakers not to go off. The first thing I noticed was Kyle. He was sitting at my table, slouched back in the chair, focused on his hands. His fingertips sparked over and over; he passed the electric spark from hand to hand with practiced ease. The light danced and spun on his fingers in fluid, easy motions.

I didn't realize I was staring until he looked up. He glared at me, shaking out his hand, the sparks fell to the ground.

"Hey," I mumbled as I sat down. Right next to him. Ugh. Why me?

After what felt like an hour of looking anywhere but next to me, Mr McLain finally began. "Alright class, today we will work in partnerships, actually for the next few weeks. This project revolves around our most recent work of Shakespeare."

Of course, I got a group project with the new kid. If Kyle was anything like Ryan or his group, this project would be torture. I fought the urge to bang my head on my desk.

"Emma, could you come see me for a minute?" Mr. McLain added.

"I wanted to ask if you were okay being partners with Kyle. You're my best student and I was hoping you could help." Mr. McLain shuffled papers as he talked, his tone indicating this really wasn't a discussion.

Absolutely not. He's bound to be a real dirtbag. I thought desperately "Um, That's fine," I heard myself say. Ugh, why couldn't I ever tell a teacher no?

"He's never read the book, so he would have to read it. That's going to put you both behind, so I'll give you an extra week to turn it in. I will also give you extra credit for helping, if you are willing?"

"Sure, I don't mind," ugh, again. I seriously couldn't tell the teachers no. I was already dreading the rest of the semester.

He turned back to the class, giving me a chance to escape. "I'm going to have an open classroom during the next three weeks. Meet here, or you can meet at one of your own homes. Make sure the project is done in three weeks, it's one-third of your grade this semester." Mr. McLain added.

 Most kids cheered or began chattering excitedly. I just walked back to my seat.

"Well, Partner, what's the plan?" He was slouching in his chair, a slight grin on his face. I wanted to slap the stupid grin off his face.

"Depends. Do you work? Or am I stuck with another solo project?" I threw down my books and glared. I tried to remind myself I didn't know him, it didn't work.

"Right partner," he sat up, his casual posture and forced smile irritated me even more. "Where do you want to work? My house works but it's pretty far away."

"First, it's Emma. Not 'partner'. Second, we work here. I don't know you and you aren't coming to my house." I sounded more mad than I was. Nothing he had said should have annoyed me, I knew I was being unreasonable.

"Okay, sounds like a plan. We start tomorrow? I've got plans if you don't mind taking today off," He was absently sending sparks across his fingers again.

"But you have to read the book?" I asked. It had taken me an entire weekend with hardly anything else to do.

"No, I already read it," He walked out the door.