Boom.

It was the fourth hour, tele-powers, when the sirens went off. Everyone froze and a few people screamed. I felt myself pulled by the tide of people rushing for the stairs. Everyone pushed toward the first floor, hundreds of terrified and confused teenagers. I watched a first year fall and not get up, people barely tried to walk around him. I found myself pulling him up and dragging him with me. The boy stumbled but stayed on his feet as I dragged him toward the final staircase.

The first floor was being sealed off, panic was still rising. That's when I heard the first explosion. The dorm house went up in flames and I watched in horror as my life burned down. Something caught my eye in the rubble, a patch of yellow. I watched as a little girl in a yellow coat pulled herself out of the rubble. I heard someone scream a name and then I was gone.

Thinking back, it happened too fast. I was the first one in action and the first one to the door. Definitely the biggest idiot. I siphoned someone's power, hardly checking the levels and blew the door off its hinges in seconds. I was sprinting out when Kyle tackled me and pulled me back in. I fought blindly but Kyle held me and someone manipulated my emotions until I was calm. I felt myself falling asleep when the second bomb hit.

When I woke up I was in the nurse's office. Kyle was standing on the opposite side of the room talking quietly to the nurse. When I moved a beeper went off and they turned to me. Kyle walked over to me. "What the heck were you thinking? You exposed everyone when you opened that door! You risked everyone's lives," He paused. "even your own."

I strained to remember what had happened. Only one thing came to me; yellow. "The- the little girl. The yellow girl. She was outside." I groaned. Everything hurt and I couldn't understand why he was mad. He hates me. I thought.

"I know," He sat down and seemed to deflate. "But there was no saving her. It was too late already. I'm sorry Emma."

I let that sink in. She was gone. The little girl in yellow. She never had a chance. "Did anyone else," my voice trailed off and caught.

"Mr. Garner. He ran out after her too. I couldn't stop both of you." He closed his eyes and I took a breath.

"No, he can't- what even happened?" I said. My mind was reeling and my head was beginning to throb where Kyle had thrown me down. He gently touched the back of my head and smiled apologetically. 

"I really am sorry I was so aggressive, but-"

"No, I would literally be dead without you." I reassured him, but the fact that Mr. Garner really had died only sank in deeper when I said it.

Kyle told me no one knew what happened. The defenses had detected a flying object just in time to call an alarm. But no one knew who or what it had been.

The nurse came in and I felt myself drifting off into a painful dreamless sleep when she put the needle back in my arm.

"Attention all students, there will be a mandatory assembly at 4:30. Everyone is required to attend and classes will not be in session for the rest of the day." The loudspeaker buzzed out and I saw the looks of the kids around me. Fear, confusion, pain, and the blank, vacant look from Kyle. My head throbbed again and I put my head down. It's my fault. The pillow was uncomfortable and I hated the smell of the medical center but I soon fell asleep.

At 4:30 the auditorium buzzed with the same feeling as the Medical center had. People talked quietly about what had happened, but no one understood. "Attention, attention," Mr. Drake walked onto the stage with a microphone. "As I'm sure many of you know by now, yesterday we lost our beloved principal, Mr. Garner. He was a great man and lost his life trying to save one of our own. A first year named Aleah Bell. She will be remembered by many as well. She was in the dormitory at the time of its destruction. Mr. Garner died trying to save her and their lives will not be forgotten. There is not yet a plan for his replacement. The board has not made a decision. Until further notice I'm the only principal." Mr. Drake stopped for a moment before continuing. "Finally, the dormitories from 206 to 311 were destroyed beyond use. If you were in any of these dormitories please speak to the student administrative office, there has been a plan to relocate everyone to empty rooms."

Mr. Drake tried to excuse himself when someone said it. The thing everyone had been wondering about. "What happened?" A voice in the front yelled.

Mr. Drake hesitated but continued to leave the stage. This resulted in an instant anger from the crowd. Chants for answers and explanations resonated around the room.

Finally, Mr. Drake walked back onto the stage. "To answer your questions, there isn't any information yet but as soon as we get information on what has occurred it will be available to everyone." This seemed to satisfy the crowd enough. They allowed him to leave, but the rumors began to fly before Drake had even left the stage.

I tried to glance at Kyle but my view was blocked completely by the team. Instead I found myself staring at Ryan, who gave me a reassuring smile which I tried to return.