Ice Isn't Nice

I stepped outside and nearly fell on my face. The concrete was a black sheet of ice. I looked around to see the entire school was coated in a frosty layer of ice. I couldn't help but smile, someone really didn't want to go to school today. Already a few teachers and reluctant students were headed toward the school. I glanced around and saw Mr. Drake stalking around red faced. Serves the old stooge right.

Mr. Drake was a fat, rude man. He sat high on his principal's throne- okay desk- and gave misery to the students. Mr. Garner was much better, he was the second principal. They were a good cop bad cop duo. You could always count on Garner to get you out of trouble if Drake got you in it.

I turned my attention to the students gathering around the building. I hurried to watch. The students with energy powers, heat powers, and fire powers were all banding their powers together. The result would be a powerful thermal energy blast, capable of heating the entire school instantly. Also highly deadly. Without the teachers, it was illegal to combine powers.

The teachers began. Each shot their own thin tendril of orange, yellow, or pale red energy that linked in the center of the circle. The energy pulsed and circled, it began to form a sphere of pure thermal energy . One by one the students let out their own tendrils. Each one was a slightly different shade of orange. The glowing center continued to pulse as the teachers slowed the energy flow. The ball was only the size of a volleyball, but the power it held was immense. The group raised the ball over their heads and sent it spiraling toward the school. It rocketed through the air and burst. Waves of energy radiated around the grounds. The teachers and students alike cheered. Even if it meant going to school, forming an energy blast was still exciting. Most of the people who helped had to sit down, I spotted Katie sitting on the ground, pale and tired.

"Hey," she smiled weakly, "I guess I gave it a little too much,"

"Are you alright? I can get you some energy if you need it, I-"

"No, it's okay, I just won't have powers today, by tomorrow I should be back to normal. Besides, " She pulled herself to her feet, " That took everyone with thermal, electric, and most of the other energy powers, there's not anyone with extra power in the whole school, except whoever managed to take that much energy." We rushed into the Homeroom seconds before the bell. I could feel Mrs. Dupont scowling at me as I took my seat.

"Psst, Kyle is already here, why didn't he help with the Energy Gathering? His power would be so much help! He must be level seven, and I heard he has all six forms." Katie whispered.

I glanced back, sure enough he was already seated and focused on something in his hand. "He's a jerk." I wondered if Kyle had anything to do with the school being iced. Alone, it would have taken him probably two hours but with help... It's easier to take energy in than let it out. Whoever froze the school must have displaced all the thermal energy. The easiest way to do this would be to take it in. All powers are is combinations of energy forms. 

Today was supposed to be the day me and Kyle met to go over the project. I expected his chair to be empty but one glance told me he had held up his end of the deal. I slid into my chair and pulled out my papers. "This is my outline, I decided to go with the more standard approach he recommended, especially because we get extra credit anyway" I picked up his notes, rifling through them. "Wait, these are,"

"They're what?" He cut me off, his irritation obvious.

"I was going to say great. These are expert work. I'm impressed." I admitted.

"Great, so we're done here?" He asked and went to grab the notes. He brushed my hand with his and I jumped. I slammed my hand onto the desk, forcing myself not to yell.

"You. How could you? You did it. Didn't you?" I hissed, forcing myself not to shout. Touching him burned me. He was hot. Hot as someone trying to hold in enough thermal energy to heat an entire school.

He looked around. "wait, not here." I followed him out of the classroom. He walked around the corner and turned to me. "There's nothing you need to know. I don't need you meddling in my business anymore,"

"I think theres plenty i need to know Kyle Adams." I matched his stare.

"I did it, but I had to. Remember Friday's detention? It's like that. You can't say anything about that either. I don't know how you keep getting in the way, but you need to be careful. There's things you shouldn't know. You're gonna get hurt if you keep getting involved."

"But, you can't just-," I began.

"I didn't hurt anything. Everyone thinks it was a prank," he shouldered his backpack and started walking away.

"Katie or one of the others could have lost their powers forever! That's not funny! Do you have any idea how hard it is for a bunch of level fours and fives to do a Power Gathering? What if they had put everything in? I'm the only one who can reverse that. The only one." I hated that he walked faster than me as I struggled to keep up, I prided myself in walking faster than most.

"Go back to class," He turned back and walked away.

I froze at his icy voice, and watched his turn out of sight. Instead of following him, I found myself listening to him. All of his papers had been cleared off the floor where I had dropped them. At closer look I realized every one of his papers was gone, while mine were all exactly how I left them. Puzzled, I gathered mine and left. I didn't know where I was going, and an hour of wandering left me with only more questions.

Kyle wasn't at lunch

He wasn't in History of Heros either.

That night I thought about what he had said. Something was going on behind the scenes here. Secrets and mysteries, and I wasn't sure whether it began when he came or I was just noticing it because of him. One thing was for sure, if he was some kind of spy he was terrible at it. The idiot was leaving a trail right through the middle of the school.