Keep out of my Life

I woke up to the sound of an engine. The roar was deafening. I glanced at the clock, seven fifty. I overslept. I rushed around my room trying to get ready. I hadn't overslept in ages. I grabbed my books and headed for the door. As I raced out the door I saw someone else hurrying into the building. The late bell was just buzzing as I raced into the room. Headlong into none other than Kyle.

"I'm so glad both of you could make it." Mrs. Dupont sniffed. "Unfortunately for you, we have a very strict late policy, see you in detention tonight."

"But, Mrs. Dupont, I've never been late, couldn't you excuse it just this once?" I knew I was begging. I couldn't help it, I had only gotten detention once in all ten of my years. I hadn't even showed up to that, Mr. Garner had excused me.

"Emma, we don't tolerate lateness, or running in the halls. And crashing into other students is pretty inappropriate." Mrs. Dupont returned to her desk. I glanced up to see Kyle was already silently sitting at his desk. He seemed to be hiding a grin. Ugh I hated that kid. He probably was purposely waiting by the door. That's stupid why would he do that? I shook my head, knowing I was being stupid.

I waited for Kyle to show up in English. Half an hour into class there was still no sign of him. Just as I was about to leave I watched him slip into class, unnoticed, which was surprising in itself. He seemed to turn heads everywhere he went. "Hey," he said breathlessly.

"What the heck, you're half an hour late, I was about to leave." I said.

"Sorry, I had a family emergency of sorts." He put one hand behind his head in an annoyingly handsome gesture.

"Okay, better have been important. Where do you want to start?"

"Um, actually I was wondering if you could just assign me half the project and we meet like once a week or so? We can just say we are meeting at my house or whatever,"

I couldn't believe my luck, but I tried to hide my enthusiasm. "Um, I guess so, lemme look at the assignment," I rifled through the papers, the assignment would have taken me the entire month to do alone, honestly I was more relieved than usual that he was willing to help.

I circled about half the bullet points on the paper. "Okay, this is your half, get it done. We can check in once a week here. That way I can make sure you get the work done,"

He had barely finished saying thanks when he scooped up his papers and walked out.