Ryan...

As the class settled in I couldn't help but wonder where he had gone. He had sixth period next so he couldn't be leaving. I headed down to the library. The school library was massive, with every wall lined in neat rows of books. I loved to lose myself in the rows of old and new. Many of them had to do with magic or legends. Well, legends to humans. Most of them at least touched on the truth. I chose a book on legends of the twenty-first century and settled in.

"Hey, Emma," I looked up, it was Ryan, followed by three of his cronies. "What are you doin in a library? I mean the nerd look is cute and all but you shoulda come to our practice." He tried to pull the book out of my hand.

"Go away Ryan," I said. I closed the book and tried to look defiant. 

"Is everything alright over here?" The grandmotherly librarian was looking nervously in our direction.

"Yes, of course Mrs. G," Ryan was instantly polite, he flashed a smile and continued, "I was just seeing if my girlfriend wanted to come watch our practice. She just said she would come, didn't you?" The threat behind his words was palpable.

I silently followed them out of the library. Once we were out Ryan grabbed my wrist and spun me around. "What were you thinking? You can't argue with me."

I stepped back, " I can do what I want, leave me alone, Ryan. I'm done with this. You used to be so nice. Ever since you became popular you have been completely blind. I'm not your girlfriend anymore,"

He grabbed my arm and pulled me back, "Do you remember who I am? I can make your life miserable. My dad practically owns you. Don't forget that you owe me for your life. Plus you love me." He paused, a smirk on his handsome, hard face. "You said it yourself."

"You aren't the same person you were back then though." I turned and walked as slowly as I could force myself, wishing I could run.

I rushed to the bathroom. I didn't want to risk him following. After washing my hands and trying to ignore the first years gossiping in the corner I pulled myself together and headed to History of Heros.

I hated the class. Mrs. Bannon would drone on endlessly and I could never focus. Plus she gave us homework on the lesson that she had hardly taught and expected us to know. I doubted it was possible to hate a class more.

I was wrong. There he was. I was the last person to arrive and the only desk was right behind him. Ugh. Not again. I groaned. Class went by without an issue, aside from nearly dying of boredom. The minute the bell rang he was out the door. Where does he go? I wondered again.
That night I thought about it. I really had no reason to hate Kyle, he had talked to Ryan once and sat at their table. Sure that probably made him a jerk if Ryan picked him up so fast, but some of the boys at their table were nice. Okay one, Ben was like a teddy bear. He looked pretty tough, and he was, but he also was nice, a trait Ryan hated him for. He was the only person with super strength on the Sisu team though. Which seemed odd because over half of them were bigger than him.

I turned out the light and resolved to be nice to Kyle the next day.