five

Hidden
S1 - 01
𝒻𝒶𝓉𝒽ℯ𝓇𝓈 𝒞ℴ𝓂𝓅𝒶𝓈𝓈
° . * 𓆝° . °  . * ● ¸

—MADISONS HEART POUNDS

...relentlessly against her chest as she nervously brushes her hair aside, avoiding the piercing gaze of Sheriff Shoupe who's slowly nearing their boat. Despite her best efforts to appear nonchalant, the weight of her brother's illicit activities beneath the boat weighs heavily on her conscience, sending her waves of anxiety crashing through her.

"Evening, officers." Pope greeted, seeming on edge as Shoupe neared beside their boat.

Madisons eyes observed the officers on the other side of the boat as Shoupe eyed the girls.

"Evening." Shoupe replied, his gaze sweeping over each of the teenagers with a discerning eye. Madison, in particular, felt the weight of his scrutiny, acutely aware of every subtle movement she made as she fought to mask her nervousness and avoid drawing any suspicion.

Officer Plumb moves past Shoupe, silently passing Pope a rope to tie so that their boat doesn't drift away from the teens.

"JJ, tie this off." Pope instructed, passing the rope to JJ resulting in him nodding and obeying his instructions. JJ swiftly secures the boat before retreating to his former position, casting a discreet glance in Madisons direction, silently communicating a sense of shared apprehension and the need for caution.

"How you kids doing?" Shoupe began, his hands reaching up to remove his glasses from his face, allowing them to dangle loosely around his neck, a subtle gesture that marked the shift in is demeanor, "You know the marsh is closed."

The four teens exchange glances, their fake expressions contorting into a feigned looks of shock and innocence.

"Whatttt.'" Madison feigned surprise, her voice tinged with a practiced innocence as her eyes wide with mock disbelief.

"We didn't know that.." Kiara spoke, shrugging it off.

"Why-why is it closed?" Pope questioned, as if they don't know the answer but just wanted to hear the confirmation.

"Well, we're conducting a search out here, boat went down." Shoupe explained, eyeing up the teens once again.

"Oh.." JJ and Pope spoke at the same time, only for it intrigue the deputy even more.

"Seen anything?" He questioned the teens.

"No."

"Nah."

"No boats. No."

In unison, the teens shook their heads vehemently, a synchronized denial underscored by the rapid movements. Madison pressed her lips together tightly, her eyes flickering briefly towards the actual location of the boat. She noticed Pope doing the same.