nine

Hidden
S1 - 03
𝒯𝒶𝓅ℯ ℛℯ𝒸ℴ𝓇𝒹ℯ𝓇
° . * 𓆝° . °  . * ● ¸

—-MADISONS HEART RACED

...with trepidation as she stared at the unassuming envelope.

Its presence looked large, a tangible reminder of her father's absence and the uncertainty that engulfed her and John B's lives since he went missing. Each passing day had deepened the chasm of worry in her chest, leaving her to grapple with unanswered questions and haunting possibilities, which John B keeps adding into her head.

The envelope, bearing her father's familiar handwriting, seemed to pulsate with unspoken secrets.

With trembling hands, Madison traced the outline of her name etched on the front, 'Little Dove' was the affectionate term her dad always used to refer to her, a reminder of the bond they shared and the void of his absence had left behind.

Beside her, her brothers silence mirrored her own apprehension, their shared fear palpable in the tense air that enveloped them. Every instinct screamed at her to open the envelope, yet she hesitated, she sat paralyzed beside John B. Instead, her brother carefully placed the envelope in his hands, examining it.

"That bread had mold on it three days ago." Pope commented, as he walks by JJ who was spreading peanut butter against two pieces of moulded bread.

"I'll just pull off the bad parts. Plus, mold is good for you. It's just a natural organism." he defended himself while Pope chose to ignore him.

The only light that is flickering the entire room are the candles inside the lamp on the tables.

"JJ!" Kiara called out, becoming impatient with the blonde boy.

"Yup, yup, yup-" he spoke as he jogs towards the table, his left hand clutching onto the moldy sandwich. "Hot damn! Let's do it." He takes a bite of the sandwich. In a second, he gagged and marches towards the closest bin to throw away the moldy pieces of bread.

Madison couldn't help but smile at his stupidity before turning back to her brother who took out a labeled map from inside the envelope.

"Holy shit..." John B mumbled as he looked observed the map.

His sister suddenly presses her finger on the small 'X' in black marker. "Oh, X marks the spot."

The rest of the teens glance over the siblings shoulder. Madison senses JJ's hand on her lower back as he leans closely to peer over her shoulder.

"Longitude and latitude." John B mumbled, tracing his fingers around certain places.

Madison detects something rigid in the envelope. "Wait there's something else in there." She remarks. John B reaches into the bag once more and retrieves a black tape recorder, a relic seemingly plucked from a 90s film, a sight they hadn't encountered before.