Chapter Four

Music flooded though the club, Glitter N' Gold, a den for all things sinful. Defiantly the only one of its kind in the bible belt of 1920's New Orleans. That made it a popular tourist spot even if the locals weren't very fond with the owners after it changed hands a few years back. Glitter N' Gold used to be a dinner called Maggie's up until a few years ago. Maggie was from and Irish immigrant family and it took her a long time to build up the money to be able to open this place on her own.  The diner was per pride and joy and helped her put all three of her kids through college. 

All her kids had worked in the diner at one point or another as waitstaff or working the counter. only her youngest son came back to work there after college. She had eight grandchildren and each one worked there as well at one point or another. One took a special interest in the diner. His name was Colton he was the oldest child of Maggie's youngest son. 

His father hated him, claiming he saw the devil in him. Maggie thought he was ridiculous and absolutely adored the little angel that he was. When he was eighteen and all grown up instead of going off to college he decided to stay and help the aging Maggie with the diner, a risky move considering his father hates Colton and would have kicked him out the moment Maggie died. Had he got the diner that is. 

It was written into her will that Colton would get ownership when Maggie died and neither found out until the will was read because Maggie didn't want to deal with her sons' melodrama. The man never set foot in the diner and never saw his son again after that day. Colton true to Maggie's words was an angel. All the locals came to the diner at least once a week. Colton was kind and funny when interacting with costumers, he was great with children and would even pick them up and walk them around the diner if they got board after they finished eating.  He added a piano to the place what he was seventeen and hired singers a year later. They all loved his songs and music. 

After his grandmothers passing, he quickly married one of his singers Mimzy and hired a friend of his who they had seen around, Alastor, to work the counter on his days off. It was an odd sight that disgruntled some seeing as Alastor was very obviously mix. Mimzy was white and Colton white passing, but Alastor? Well, there was no hiding his complexion. Keep in mind this was the Southern united states during the time of segregation. the Diner was never segregated, and he nor Maggie didn't intend for it to be. How did Colton respond to the hate and disrespect thrown Alastor on a daily? He hired more non-white staff and told anyone who didn't like it to get lost. 

His mother had a reputation of witchcraft, but no one believed it Colton had always been so kind and sweet, and they had always seen him at church there was no way he was evil. 

No one knew what happened. 

About four years after Colton took hold of Maggie's a fight broke out, an odd occurrence for the quaint little place, Colton walked over to break it up, but a gun came out and everyone hit the floor. Colton ran over to Mimzy in an attempted to get her off stage, but he was too late. The singer was shot and hospitalized. She made a full recovery in a few months, a miracle apparently.

After Mimzy's recovery is when everything went south. It happened slowly. First it was the smoking. Colton who had ever touched a drug in his life was suddenly chain smoking like there was no tomorrow. No big deal. At first.

Then came the drugs, Colton came in to work clearly high every day, sometimes it was a light buzz, other times be could barely walk and his wife had to pull him away from the front and into the break room. No one knew what it was he was taking, and no one really wanted to know. Within a few months the sweet little Colton they had all watched run around Maggie's as he grew up was falling deeper and deeper into disrepair. He as unwell and all could see it. 

Last came the renovations, Maggie's was closed for a year and under construction. When it opened back up again it was no longer Maggie's, it was Glitter N' Gold a night club. The abstinence that Maggie was known for was gone. There was a bar with every kind of drink from anywhere you could imagine, there were graphic burlesque shows and even back-rooms people were welcome to rent out for sex, private shows or general drug use.