Chapter 2

Later that day, I picked out my food and carried my tray to my usual table with Fitz and Biana. I spotted Sophie looking lost again as she wandered the cafeteria. Fitz noticed where I was looking.

"Is that Sophie?" he inquired.

I nodded, "I met her earlier. She's nice, kind of shy, cute," Biana's ears perked up at my last word.

"My dad said I should try to befriend her," she told us, saying the words like they tasted as bad as the cafeteria food and eliminating any idea I had of inviting Sophie to sit with us. "You know, because she probably has some trauma from her family's accident." I had completely forgotten about it.

"I wonder what it is," I said, my eyes still on Sophie.

"I don't know," Fitz picked at his salad with his fork. "But it's sad. I can't imagine how horrible it would be to lose your family like that." I nodded. Maybe I should invite her to sit with us. I eyed Biana warily. She was busy stabbing her food violently with her fork. Screw it, I thought. Who cares what Biana thinks. I stood, waving.

"FOSTER!" I hollered. She jumped, scrambling to keep her food from falling over. I laughed as she walked over, eyes still wide.

"Hi," she said nervously.

"Sit with us," I invited her. Biana looked incredulous. She gritted her teeth and shot me a death glare. Sophie sat beside me.

"I'm Fitz," Fitz introduced himself, flashing a smile that made most girls in the school go crazy. I rolled my eyes as Sophie flushed bright red.

"That's Biana," I motioned to the youngest Vacker with my fork, as she seemed determined to be as rude as possible.

"Hey," she looked Sophie up and down with a look of disapproval. "You're the new girl, huh?"

"Yeah," Sophie nodded.

"So what exactly happened to your family?" Biana asked frankly. Sophie's eyebrows shot up, and tears glistened in her eyes.

"Biana!" Fitz exclaimed in horror. "Sorry, Sophie,"

"No, it's fine," Sophie assured him, despite the tears that said she was definitely not fine. "I'll just go." She picked up her tray and dumped her food into the nearest trash can before casting it onto the cart and fleeing from the cafeteria. I yearned to chase after her, but I knew she wouldn't want me to.

"What was that for?!" I turned on Biana.

She looked almost guilty. "What? I was just curious." Fitz scoffed at her, and I gave her a glare before returning to my food.

. . .

I drove home after school, parking in the driveway and going inside as quietly as possible so as to avoid my parents. It was no use though.

"Keefe?" I heard my mom's stern voice from her office. She was lounging in her chair as if she'd been sitting there waiting for me to arrive home, sipping her coffee.

"Mom," I stared at the floor.

"Did you ditch class again?" she questioned. When I remained silent, she sighed. "Again?" I sighed, crossing my arms across my chest.

"I met a new girl," I told her, desperate to change the subject but instantly regretting my words.

"A girl?" My mother repeated. "Keefe, you're not a celebrity. What girl wants to date this?" she motioned to my rumpled uniform and meticulously disheveled blonde head of hair.

"Stop," I muttered, only to be ignored.

"Your grades will suck again if you keep ditching," she told me next, absentmindedly stirring her coffee. "You don't want terrible grades again do you?"

"My grades were fine last year!" I argued.

"Fine isn't good enough!" My mom snapped. "Your father will be so disappointed." I gritted my teeth.

"Can I go?" I requested.

"Fine, get out of my sight." I shut her office door and trudged up the stairs to my bedroom, each step feeling heavier than the last. I carried the weight of my mother's words with each one, and even when I collapsed on my bed they lingered on me. It wasn't until I pulled out one of my many sketchbooks could I release the burden through the drawing. It flowed easily from my hand to my pencil and onto the page as I drew her. Her hair was styled in a perfect bun, her makeup flawless, and her grimace of disapproval as lifelike as when I'd seen it in her office. After my mom, for some reason I drew Sophie. What am I doing? I wondered halfway through, but I didn't stop. I sketched her long hair, her freshman uniform, and the lost expression on her face as she wandered the halls.

"It's okay," I found myself whispering. "We're all a little lost sometimes." I fell asleep with my pencil in my hand.