Chapter 3

"I talked with Sophie this morning," Fitz announced as he sat in his usual seat at our lunch table. Biana glared at the table.

"How'd it go?" I queried, curious. To my surprise, Fitz turned slightly red.

"I like her," he answered. "She's sweet, and you're right. She's cute," Someone has a crush, I thought.

"I've seen cuter," Biana commented snobbily, inspecting her nails. They were painted teal to match her eyes.

"Didn't Dad say you should befriend her?" Fitz rolled his eyes at her, and she scoffed and rolled hers too. I sighed, staring at my lunch. It was unappetizing as usual, and I took a few more bites before giving up and throwing it out.

"You should have Sophie over," I suggested to Biana when I returned to the table. She stared at me like I'd just sprouted three more arms, but Fitz nodded in agreement. I had said it mostly for his sake anyway.

"Keefe, you should come too!" Fitz added with a smile. I grinned back.

"Sounds great!" I agreed. Biana continued to stare at us.

"We don't even know this girl!" she protested. "Why on earth should we have her over?!" Fitz turned to me for help, and I sighed, pinching the bridge of my nose.

"Biana..." I couldn't come up with a good argument.

"Don't 'Biana' me!" she shouted a bit too loudly. "When I brought Maruca to sit with us one time, you two threw a fit, but a random girl showed up and suddenly she's all I'm expected to spend time with?!"

"We complained about Maruca because all you two would do was talk bad about everyone else," Fitz interjected her rant. "If you want to go sit with her then do it." I nodded. Biana turned on me, looking angry and hurt.

"Fine," she spat. "I'll invite her over," Fitz looked at me, grinning, and Biana didn't say another word.

. . .

I didn't bother calling one of my parents. I escaped to the Vacker's house so often that if I didn't show up after school they just assumed I was there. I could probably get away with a lot more stuff than I do, I realized with a smirk. Fitz and I got in our cars and drove there, him taking Sophie and Biana. When we arrived, Sophie was speechless. The Vacker residence was definitely incredible, but I guess I was used to that.

"Come on, Sophie," Biana was at least being slightly more pleasant now, likely because Fitz had talked to her about it. I'm surprised Sophie even agreed to come after what Biana said to her. Biana was a kind person, but she could definitely be mean. Fitz and I walked up to his room. I sat on his desk chair while he settled onto his bed.

"So, you like Sophie?" I figured I should just be frank.

"Yeah," Fitz admitted. "She's super cute," She is, I agreed. But I wouldn't tell Fitz that.

"Just ask her out," I told him. "You're good-looking. She's bound to say yes, even if your hair isn't half as good as mine." I smirked at him, and Fitz rolled his eyes.

"I'm nervous, though," he ran a hand through his hair.

"The great Fitz Vacker is nervous?" I teased. He elbowed me out of the chair.

"Shut up," his tone was lighthearted.

"Just start by asking for her number," I advised him. "Then ya'll can talk through text, and you can get to know her better." Fitz nodded, deep in thought. Suddenly, his teal eyes lit up.

"What if you get her number for me!" he exclaimed, clearly excited. I raised an eyebrow.

"What?"