Chapter 9

This has 400 reads! I can't believe it! Thank you so much to all of you!

 Later that week, Sophie and I were once again invited to Everglen. After school, I hopped into his car to drive there. Sophie, Fitz, and Biana walked out of the school building after me. Fitz nudged Biana in the shoulder, and she walked up to me with a smile.

"Fitz said I should get a ride with you," she announced and promptly slid into my passenger seat. Sure, Fitz, be like that. I thought, but I didn't complain as I pulled out of the school parking lot.

"So... how are you, Biana?" I inquired to break the silence.

"Good," she smiled sweetly at me. "How are you?" The past week flashed before my eyes.

"I'm fine." I lied, averting my eyes. I was thankful when I pulled up to Everglen and the drive finally ended. Biana and I stepped out of my car and walked up to the sprawling expanse of the Everglen property. When Fitz and Sophie walked up, Fitz had his arm casually draped over Sophie's shoulder. I felt a pain in my chest.

"Up for another game of base quest?" he suggested. I groaned internally.

"We've been doing that a lot—" I started, only to be cut off by Biana.

"Sounds great!" I sighed as we walked around the side of the house and into the back yard. Fitz and Sophie walked in front of Biana and me, and Fitz was still holding onto her. I glowered at the back of their heads. Why is this bothering me so much? I wondered. Sure I have a little crush on Sophie, but she's Fitz's girlfriend, I need to accept that. It was no surprise to me when Fitz insisted we keep our previous teams, but I still wasn't happy about it. Sophie and Fitz set off through the trees to their base, and Biana and I walked to ours.

"We're going to win this time for sure!" Biana declared enthusiastically. I gave her a half-hearted smile that probably looked more like a grimace. She gave me a questioning look.

"You want to be defense and I'll be offense?" I questioned, not making eye contact with her.

"Keefe,"

"If not I'm fine with being defense,"

"Keefe," I looked up. Biana was staring at me with an intensity in her expression that I wasn't used to.

"What?" She paused for a moment, inspecting me like my face held the secrets of the universe.

"What's going on?" she queried finally. "You've been acting really weird, and don't try to deny it." I turned away from her again, releasing a heavy sigh. What am I supposed to say?

"I'm fine," I insisted. "My dad has been a jerk lately."

"Oh really?"

"We have to start the game," I quickly changed the subject. Biana huffed, but didn't pry any further. I agreed to wait at our base while she snuck ahead. Surprisingly, Fitz and Sophie weren't anywhere in sight. A sinking feeling settled in the pit of my stomach, and despite my promise to stay and guard, I snuck after Biana. I quickly caught up to her. She was standing near their base.

"Keefe! You left?" she exclaimed as I walked into the clearing. "They're probably tagging our base right now!" I sighed and shook my head.

"They're not," I told her.

"What? How would you know?" Instead of answering, I walked past their base. I checked the back porch, but they weren't there either. I heard a small giggle in the distance, and I quickened my pace, reaching a cluster of trees. Sophie and Fitz were leaning against the largest of them. Fitz once again had his arm around Sophie, and they were staring into each other's eyes. As I watched, he leaned closer to her and...no. I stumbled backwards into Biana. I felt sick to my stomach. The image of Fitz and Sophie's lips pressed together stuck in my mind even as I turned and sprinted back toward our base quest game. My heart was pounding. No, no, no. I knew Biana would come after me quickly, so I crept around to the front of the house and slipped inside. Tears burned in my eyes as I raced up the stairs to Fitz's room. Della spotted me along the way.

"Keefe? What are you doing?" she called.

"Bathroom!" I shouted before rushing into Fitz's bathroom. I locked the door and gripped the sides of his bathroom counter, gasping for air. The image of Fitz and Sophie flashed repeatedly through my mind, the image of my best friend kissing my crush. I sank to the floor, tearing my hands through my hair and the tears began to pour.

"No, no, no, no," I muttered. This is not a crush, I thought. It was something I'd known all along but refused to admit. I would not be sobbing on the floor of Fitz's bathroom if this was a crush.

"I'm in love with her," I whispered through my tears. "Oh my gosh, I'm in love with her." Saying it out loud somehow made it hurt even more. It also made me realize just how true those words were, which brings me to where I am now. I am undoubtedly, desperately, hopelessly in love with Sophie Foster, and she's dating my best friend.