Chapter 7

As promised, after school I climbed into my car and texted Sophie

Think you could meet me at the park in half an hour?

What for?

I just want to talk

Okay

I sighed and drove to the park to meet Fitz. It didn't take long to get there, and when I did, Fitz was standing on a pavilion in the center. I parked and walked up to him with a tight-lipped smile.

"Hey, Keefe," he greeted me, fidgeting nervously with his hands. "Do you... think she likes me back?"

"Hopefully," I tell him. "You're good-looking enough." Fitz nodded, smiling.

It wasn't long before Sophie arrived. I watched as her mom's car drove up and she stepped out. Quickly, I hid behind some bushes by the pavilion. Fitz stepped behind a beam on the pavilion to stay hidden. Glancing around, she walked up. Fitz stepped out from behind the beam as soon as she neared it.

"Hey, Sophie," he called to her. "Funny seeing you here." I ducked behind the bushes so as not to risk being seen.

"Hi, Fitz," Sophie greeted my friend. "Have you seen Keefe? I was supposed to meet him here." I poked my head out from the bushes for a brief moment to look at her.

"Yeah," Fitz replied. "He was here a few minutes ago, but his parents called him and he had to leave."

"Oh," I could almost hear disappointment in Sophie's voice. That can't be right, I thought. Fitz is here.

"So, Sophie," Fitz's voice got louder, and I realized he was leaning over the balcony on the pavilion. "Can I talk to you about something?"

"Sure," From the sound of it, Sophie had begun to lean against the railing as well. I hold my breath, not daring to move for risk of being detected. Fitz is going to say it, I thought. A sinking feeling settled in my stomach, but I pushed it down. I could've walked up there right then and halted the entire plan. Fitz wouldn't have been able to do a thing about it, but I didn't. I knelt on the ground and listened as my best friend made a move on the girl I wouldn't admit I liked.

"Sophie, since I've gotten to know you, I've also started to like you." Fitz began, and I didn't have to look at her to know there was a blush spreading across Sophie's cheeks. "Do you think you'd go out with me?" Time seemed to freeze as Fitz waited for Sophie's answer, as I waited for Sophie's answer.

"Yes," she responded. "I um...I like you too." My spirits sank, but what had I been expecting? It had been obvious.

"Great!" Fitz exclaimed. "Dinner Saturday night?"

"I'll ask my parents,"

"Okay! See you later!" Fitz walked away from the pavilion grinning like he'd won the lottery. Once I was certain Sophie wouldn't see me, I snuck away from the pavilion frowning like I'd just seen a puppy run over by a car. I met Fitz outside his car.

"Well, that went well," I said.

"Yeah!" Fitz was still smiling from ear to ear. "And we're going on a date this Saturday!"

"Yeah, I heard," I forced one last smile at him before returning to my own car. I drove back home in grim silence. To my surprise, my parents weren't fighting when I got home. I didn't hear either of them. When I passed my mother's office, it was empty.

"Mom? Dad?" I hollered. "Are you home?" My father walks silently into the hallway.

"Hello, Keefe," he greeted me coldly.

"Where's Mom?" I inquired, raising an eyebrow. My father let out a long heavy sigh, which I knew couldn't mean anything good.

"We're getting a divorce," He informed me. "She left." The world seemed to shake, and I froze.

"What?"

"She left," my father repeated as if he were discussing a trivial matter. "She's not coming back." My mother had never been there for me, had never been a motherly figure, but she was gone? I tossed my backpack to the floor, stumbling up the stairs to my room. My father watched me stony-faced. On the top step, I suddenly whipped around to face him.

"Do you not care?!" I demanded, my voice broken. "Do you not care about anything but yourself?!"

"Keefe!" my father reprimanded, but I ignored him, walking back down the stairs on shaky legs and getting in his face.

"Does it not matter to you?!" I screamed. "Does nothing matter to you?!" I was sobbing at that point.

"KEEFE!" My father shook with rage. "You think I wanted this?! You think I wanted your mother to leave?! You think I wanted you as a son?!" My entire body was trembling, and I stared him dead in the eyes.

"You know nothing about who I am," I spoke quietly, but my words shook with hidden anger and devastation. "You don't see anyone but the boy who could never live up to your expectations, and I'm done with it." I grabbed my backpack and stomped back up the stairs, slamming my door, and collapsed onto my bed. An ocean of tears flowed from my eyes, soaking my bed sheets. It was very rare that I allowed myself to break down. I hated how weak it made me feel. I hated that I couldn't control the emotions boiling inside me, however much I acted like I did, however much I buried them so deep no one could see them unless I let them loose. My phone dinged, and I forced myself to lift my head from my pillow. It was Sophie.

Fitz said you had to leave

For a moment, I almost ignored it, but a feeling in the back of my mind forced me to pick up my phone and respond.

Yeah, sorry

It's okay, I didn't mind

I was surprised she didn't mention her date with Fitz, not that I wanted her to. That was the last thing I wanted to think about. I started to type another text message, but Fitz's huge grin flashed through my mind. I thought once again of their date on Saturday. Then I shut my phone off and laid it on my dresser, closing my eyes and once again letting the tears flow.