Chapter 10

Here is the extra chapter, as promised! Enjoy!

 As I sit, still sobbing, on Fitz's bathroom floor, I hear someone come into his room. I double-check to make sure the door is locked and try to pull myself together.

"Keefe?" I hear Biana's voice against the door. "Are you in there?"

"I'm going to the bathroom," I respond.

"Oh, okay," I hear her footsteps as she walks away. I breathe a sigh of relief and splash some water from the sink onto my tear streaked face. The end result makes me look like I'm red and sweaty, but we have been outside, so it's plausible. I take in another breath and unlock the door, stepping out to see Biana sitting on Fitz's bed and staring straight at me. I jump nearly too feet in the air.

"Biana!" I exclaim. She doesn't smile, merely staring at me intently and patting the bed beside her. I bite my lip, but there's nothing else I can do, so I sit where she's directed.

"I know you weren't just going to the bathroom," she tells me softly but sternly. "And I know you were crying."

"What do you mean?" I ask. "I was sweating, is that—"

"Keefe," Biana's face still holds the unusual stony intensity from earlier. "I'm not blind. You like Sophie, don't you?" My breath catches in my throat, making my next words sound choked.

"What?"

"You heard me." Her voice is still chillingly soft and cold. I stare at her for a second.

"No!" I insist. "No, she's Fitz's girlfriend," Biana purses her lips, still staring at me.

"Then what's going on?" she asks. "You think I'm blind enough to not see what's going on right in front of my eyes? You think I don't see the way you look at her? The resentment you hold for Fitz? And believe me, I'm jealous as heck!" Her voice finally cracks, and she stands up, her eyes fiery with rage.

"Biana—"

"I've liked you for years! And one blonde girl shows up and you're all smitten?! I—" I don't know what else to do, so I do the first thing that comes to mind to silence her. I lean over and kiss her, pulling away quickly. I regret it almost instantly, but I couldn't think of anything else to do. Biana's jaw hangs open for a moment, her entire expression transformed by elation. I want to punch myself. I'll have to tell her I can't date her.

"Keefe?" I hear a voice in my doorway, and I turn, horrified. Fitz is grinning, his arm once again wrapped around Sophie, who's beside him.

"Fitz! It's not what it looks like! I—"

"You two will be perfect together!" Fitz cheers. "And Keefe, you've liked her back all this time?" If I wanted to punch myself before, now I want to hurl myself out the nearest window. There is no way I can get out of it now.

"Yep!" I force a smile, and Biana leans her head on my shoulder. Every instinct in my body tells me to shove her off, but I was the one who did this to myself. I had to kiss her?! I think angrily. There was nothing else I could've done?!

"Oh, by the way, sorry we snuck away from base quest," Fitz apologizes. "But I guess you two did the same?"

"Yes," I answer. Biana gives me a questioning look, knowing it's not the whole story, but Fitz and Sophie don't need to know we saw them... kissing. The pain is still very fresh, and I'm reminded of it as I watch them walk ahead of me and Biana as we exit Fitz's room and head downstairs. Fitz wraps his arm around Sophie, causing the feeling in my stomach to return, and Biana looks up at me expectantly. I act like I didn't see her. When we sit down in the living room, I grab a seat next to Fitz. Biana, looking wounded, sits beside Sophie.

"So, do you all want to do a board game or watch a movie?" Fitz inquires.

"Actually, I have to go, sorry," I stand, holding my phone like I just got a text from one of my parents. "My mom texted me. Bye!" I walk toward the door. Once out of sight from the others, my shoulders sag, and I pinch the bridge of my nose. What have I gotten myself into? I think.

"Keefe?" It's Sophie. "What's going on?" I force a smile at her, standing up straight again.

"What do you mean?"

"You said your mom texted you." I freeze as I remember what she knows. My lips part in surprise. She watches me, silent, for a moment.

"I'm just tired," I lie, knowing she's probably not convinced. "And I didn't want to be rude." The intensity in Sophie's eyes reminds me a little bit of the look in Biana's eyes, but Sophie's eyes have a depth behind them, a hidden pain, a hidden understanding. There is so much I yearn to say to her, but I could never betray Fitz. It's not like she'd care anyway if I did tell her, I think, melancholy. Still, I have to swallow back a million professions as I stare into her eyes. Finally, I tear my eyes away, staring instead at the floor.

"Well, see you," Sophie speaks quietly. I nod, forcing a smile, and walk out the door. Feeling lonely is never rare for me, especially during the long silent car rides back to a home that I will never feel at home in, but never on one of these car rides have I felt such a loneliness. It's an aching deep in my bones, and I feel that at any moment I could lose control of it. My vision blurs with tears. Suddenly, I really do lose control, but not of what I'd expected. I see another car flying at me, and I feel it crash into the side of my car before I topple off the road and lose consciousness.